Okna replacement windows quote and where to buy DIY

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tstewart1

Okna replacement windows quote and where to buy DIY

#1 Post by tstewart1 »

Hello,

I am in the process of getting a number of quote's to replace the windows in the house. Currently, I have looked at Pella 350's, Okna 500dx, WestWindow (West Elite - E 3-366 glass). Here's a break down of the quotes (17 windows in total):

Okna 500dx (low E / Argon, Colonial grids, Foam filled sash/frame): - $539 p/u installed, $10,355 total (includes $1,275 for capping brick molding)

WestElite - $300ish no installation - ($5000ish for just windows) installation is about 3k

Pella - 350 - $800 p/u installed (total 13,620). Lowes sells them for about $450 a window so roughly 6500ish not installed.

I really like the Okna's but I would prefer to do the install myself (use to build houses/woodworking so have experience). A friend is a contractor for WestWindows so I can order them through him. It would seem I can get the Pella's / WestElites for around 5-6k but I can not find anyone in the Raleigh NC area to give me a quote on the Okna's with no installation. I tried calling Okna and they will not sell to the public.

Here's my question. If I want to go with Okna and want to install myself, do I have any options and were can I get them from? Has anyone heard of WestWindows (out of Danville VA)? They seem to stack up against the Okna's based on the build/data. I know the Pella's are over priced and do not compare to Okna.

Thanks

Tim

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Okna replacement windows quote and where to buy DIY

#2 Post by masterext »

Thats a very good installed price for the okna 500, no doubt about it. The okna is going to be a step or 2 above west window and many steps above pella.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Did you ask the dealer that quoted you on the Oknas if they would sell you windows only?... That is what you will need, is an Okna dealer that is willing to do so. If he won't someone may be willing to ship some to you, however you are kind of on an island at that point when it comes to future warranty service etc.

More importantly though, masterext is absolutely right. That is a very low price installed. I think you will be hard pressed to get a better value by the time you purchase the product and install yourself if you are going with a higher end unit like that.

tstewart1

#4 Post by tstewart1 »

HomeSealed wrote:Did you ask the dealer that quoted you on the Oknas if they would sell you windows only?... That is what you will need, is an Okna dealer that is willing to do so. If he won't someone may be willing to ship some to you, however you are kind of on an island at that point when it comes to future warranty service etc.

More importantly though, masterext is absolutely right. That is a very low price installed. I think you will be hard pressed to get a better value by the time you purchase the product and install yourself if you are going with a higher end unit like that.
I did ask the Okna dealer if they would sell just the windows. The sale's man wasn't keen on the idea but if pressed they may change their mind. I understand they make most of their profit on the installation. Any idea on what a ball park unit price would be for just the Okna window with out installation? Would it be in the $350 range ($6000 total for 17)? If the installation cost over the window was around 1-2k then I would bite the bullet and hire someone to install. But, if it was 3k or more for the install then it would make sense for me to continuing looking at the DIY route.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

If you are capping the Windows I would not recommend doing it yourself unless you have experience running a brake. There is a bit of a learning curve and it's an important to be done right.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Very hard to say on a price per unit without install. That can change quite a bit based on size, etc, but more importantly the operating costs of the dealer will determine his markup. I'll say this, based on your numbers if the capping ($1275) is removed and the window price that you mention is close, that would place the installation price at $100 per unit, which would be at a loss in most cases. This just further reinforces my point that you have a sweetheart deal on the table for that product installed. As Todd alluded to, the trim capping is not a DIY task unless you have experience running a brake, and perhaps more importantly, eliminating the opportunity for finger pointing and the lack of accountability that comes with a DIY install can't be overstated here. 9 out of 10 "window issues" on DIY installs are due to the install, and it can be a difficult situation to navigate when issues arise.