Replacement window cost

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
whatsup

Replacement window cost

#1 Post by whatsup »

I have a Florida home built in 1997 that has aluminum single hung, single pane windows.The windows leak air and dust and a few water in a wind driven rain.

I received quotes for vinyl double pane energy efficient argon filled windows.
The quote are for 16 windows, two eye brow windows and 3 sliding glass doors.

Both quotes are for Simonton 5050 windows installed in a concrete block home.
Eight windows are 110UI, three are 130UI, two are 101UI, one is 93UI, and one is 73UI.
The eye brows are 76 and 71UI respectively. One picture window is 96UI.

Two sliding doors are 6 x 8 and one is 12 x 8.

Higher quote says there are 18 window cut outs required, lower quote says there are 7 required.

First quote is for $ 27,377.50, second is for $ 24,000.

If I understand correctly the 5050 window is a basic window.

Labor is $ 157 a window with 5 mulls at $ 96 each. Eight windows require tempered glass in the lower pane at $ 94 each..

The cost is higher that what I expected,are either of these quotes reasonable?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacement window cost

#2 Post by masterext »

Its unfair for us to comment on price unless its aggregiously high or low. There are far too many variables when determining price for us to pull a figure out of the sky or comment on someones estimate when neither of us have evaluated the job in person.
Some of the variables include the quality of the window itself, the experience of the installers, the install material being used, the complexity of the job, size of the company overhead, size of the job, cost of insurance, region, distance traveled ,and about a million other things.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext is ultimately right when it comes to any sort of specifics. We really don't know without being there and seeing the work and materials.

That being said...

Based on the shapes, tempered glass, Florida requirements for installation, and doors...the numbers don't seem bad.

I like the better models on the Simonton to be honest, but the 5050 is fine.

Might be worth a re-quote on the upper windows to be honest as all the other stuff (i.e. install, removal, labor, etc.) is going to be a fixed number regardless of window.

whatsup

#4 Post by whatsup »

Thank you for the reply. Elimination the installation costs is $ 602 a fair price for a Simonton 5050 window with lowE2/ argon, 1/2 screen and grids?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Its not out of the realm by any stretch.

Tempering charges and shapes all drive the prices way, way up.