Provia Endure? or Vinylmax?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Esquared

Provia Endure? or Vinylmax?

#1 Post by Esquared »

Hi! Like many newbies, my head is about to explode. Looking at replacing windows in a 1979 house in KC area. 9 double hung, 2 sliders and a twin casement (that COULD be a slider- over the kitchen sink area).
Looking at local companies with employee installers that seem to have good ratings on the social media outlets.
So far, have a quote on ProVia Endure (double pane) for the above package @ $7,936. Am considering investigating the tradeoff of going to triple-pane and making the twin casement a slider, so thoughts on that would be welcome, too!
Another local rep coming on Monday to quote on Vinylmax, but not aware yet of which model. What Vinylmax would be comparable to the ProVia Endure?
Anyone familiar with a good 3rd option for this part of the country?
Thanks in advance for any guidance...

toddinmn

Re: Provia Endure? or Vinylmax?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I like the Endure but do not have any first hand experience with it, not familiar with Vinylmax.

Check out Soft-Lite, Okna and Polaris perhaps if they are available.

The slider will probably save you $300 to $400 or so and move the screen to the outside and you won't have worry about a open window as an opbstacle if that is a problem.
Casements typically seal a little tighter.

Esquared

#3 Post by Esquared »

Thanks for the reply, Todd. Haven't been able to find an Okna dealer here in KC yet; will check on Polaris. Have seen some other impartial, good reviews of ProVia Endure, so at least I've got a decent start.

Will have to noodle the casement vs. slider, as there's no "easement" issue with the casement opening out (it's just over a flower bed); however, I might plow the savings back into something other than white on the outside of the front window frames.

No sense rushing; lots of homework to do. Suggestions and guidance welcome!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The over the sink twin casement:

The most common change I make in homes is to change DH/SH at the kitchen sink to a single casement or awning. Ease of operation and clear view are the reason. You have a twin casement so you have a large mull in the middle. So can it change to a single casement or an awning? If not a slider offers a small center meeting rail in the middle( ~ 1 3/4"), and if a half screen can also work as a pass through to the outside if the grill is near.

bsm

#5 Post by bsm »

Not sure if you have already made your decision but I am also in the KC area and made the mistake of Vinylmax windows a few years ago(before finding this site), we have had to have the glass replaced 8 times in two double casement windows, they have been 1/8-1/4" off, had what look like metal shavings between the grids, Grids faced in instead of out and many more issues that took months to resolve. I would suggest contacting a few more companies around town if you haven't already made your decision!

Board Moderator
Board Moderator

#6 Post by Board Moderator »

Thank you for your update. We have observed glass defects from every manufacturer at one point or another, but the habitual production of remake glass that has defects usually indicates a more fundamental QA/QC issue at the core.

Happy New Years Eve!

Be safe everyone and here is to a fantastic 2018.