chrisexv6 Did you get your windows in yet?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
steelersfan

chrisexv6 Did you get your windows in yet?

#1 Post by steelersfan »

You went with Schuco right?

chrisexv6

#2 Post by chrisexv6 »

Yeah, funny I was just about to post here.

Im *STILL WAITING* for the windows to arrive. Of the 18 we ordered, 15 showed up last week. They said the other 3 would show up this week but I just got the call saying negative captain.

They are going to wait for possibly another delivery this week (probably not) and next weeks delivery to see if they show up. If not they will be installing the 15 they do have on the 17th. At that point they are hoping the other 3 come in while they are still working on the house.

While Im posting...........anyone know how Schuco goes about building windows? it just happens that the 3 we havent received are the largest Schuco will make a triple pane krypton casement (2) and deadlite (1). Im wondering if maybe they just "setup" the line to make X quantity of certain sizes at once. Maybe we're held up because no one else in the US needs such big windows? :)

steelersfan - whats your question? I noticed you wanted pics of an install. Im curious as to why you are asking (mostly so I can check out whatever you are looking at as my windows come in). Email me at the email address in my user profile.

Thanks!
-Chris

steelersfan

#3 Post by steelersfan »

Chris,
Yeah, I have been anticipating my windows arriving and second guessing myself regarding how the windows will look aesthetically from the outside. The two windows that I am a bit worried about are tall and skinny (22 inches by 65 inches). The whole 'loss of glass' area thing wasn't even on my mind as I was looking for windows. The other windows in my house are 32 inches by 65 inches so those should be 'ok' although I am kinda wishing that I explored ripping out the area where the weights went on both sides of the window. This would have complicated things a bit, I realize but would have gotten more glass area.

Also, my town just announced that they are redistricting my area in terms of the school system. My daughter may end up having to go to a crummy school which may (probabaly will) precipitate me having to move. So, that warranty thing wouldn’t matter and I'm wondering if they Anderson Woodwrights would have done more for my house value....

I know I sound like a nutcase and I guess I apologize for that. Chris, your email wasn’t in your profile by the way. If your not too scared of me, shoot me an email at bro108@psu.edu. :?

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Theres no excuse for not shipping all of your windows. Either ship them all or wait until you can. Just a little problem with making your extrusions overseas. Schuco makes a great window but they screw up quite a bit for such an exacting co. I still don't recommend them, not because there not a good window but because I still smell rat. One of there field reps was in Milw recently and was boasting to the potential customer their willing to pay $1000.00 for any unit with seal failure because they've never had one........yeah right I can take you to two, in the same opening.

chrisexv6

#5 Post by chrisexv6 »

While my immediate reaction was the same as yours, Id still like to know how they produce them. I mean, if they really do wait until they have a bunch of a certain size range of windows, thats just the way it is. If there are other reasons (that arent as easy to swallow), then Id like to know them.

My first new car was a factory order from Dodge. When I ordered it, it was a "new" model, and the dealer advised me it could take a while to get (8-12 weeks). 15 days after ordering, the car was built. When did I receive it?
75 days later. I got a *ton* of excuses from everyone involved (Dodge, dealer, factory reps, etc). In the end, I never knew the real "why". But I did stress myself out (its just a car, right?) and manage to piss a lot of people off (the dealership general manager told me to leave :) ).

Moral of the story? Ive learned to find out the "why" first, before going nuts and demanding a product be delivered *yesterday*.

I look on the bright side.......I figured all 18 windows would be on backorder. At least I have 15 of 18.

-Chris

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#6 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Since almost all of their orders are custom sizes, they should not present any problems building. They simply don't have their s... together. If a mfrg ships me a partial order, I don't take any (they know better). and you the customer should not take a partial install either, unless the dealer is willing to accept a partial payment.
If you bought from a reputable dealer chances are you'll be happy in the end, but delays and excuses from such a state of the art facility tells me their not state of the art just yet.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY wrote:Theres no excuse for not shipping all of your windows. Either ship them all or wait until you can. Just a little problem with making your extrusions overseas. Schuco makes a great window but they screw up quite a bit for such an exacting co. I still don't recommend them, not because there not a good window but because I still smell rat. One of there field reps was in Milw recently and was boasting to the potential customer their willing to pay $1000.00 for any unit with seal failure because they've never had one........yeah right I can take you to two, in the same opening.
If that's true, take him up on it and go collect your $1000.
I have never seen a seal failure since I have been a dealer, but I don't expect that to last forever. They are really good, but no product is perfect.

As far as shipping partial orders, that drives me crazy. I have it happen to me all the time, so don't feel it's just you. There must be a good reason, but I don't have it.

Oh, by the way. They don't ship the extrusions from overseas. They are made here like the rest of the window.

windowrep

#8 Post by windowrep »

Another Window Guy, you can not talk bad about shuco on this board. you will be immediately reprimanded and the post must be deleted asap. you obviously forgot you are talking about the BEST WINDOW IN THE WORLD.

Window4U (IL)

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'd love nothing more than to talk about another window. I'm sick of answering the same old questions.
Let's talk about the brands you other pros carry. Windowrep, you can start it out. Tell us about your brand(s) and what you like about them.

windowmannjny

#10 Post by windowmannjny »

Window4u- what about one of the windows i sell...the Gorell 5300 line, ithink its a great window with nicemillwork that doesnt "lump" me in with the rest of the vinyls out there, what is your opinion on that line,as well as the 5100 line

Window4U (IL)

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I sold the Gorell line for a long time and still have access to it through a supply house.
I like the 5300 just fine but have had big trouble with air leakage on the 5100's, especially out the night latches. I also don't like the really thin and flimsy sill on the 5100. I strongly recommend the upgrade to the 5300. It is one of the better vinyl windows out there and is available with many efficient glass options including triple.
I have recommended the 5300 many times on here to people and also the patio door, which has a really neat lift on the middle of the center door rail that shoots a bolt into the frame, instead of the usual kick bolt.
For those of you that don't know what this does, a kick bolt or Gorells lift gives extra protection against forced entry as well as you being able to open the door a couple inches without anyone being able to get in.

The 5200 I never sold. It was just being introduced when my rep got fired and it was over 2 years before Gorell got another rep to come see me. I like seeing my reps once in a while, and not seeing one to tend to my dealer needs got me to start looking for another brand, which led me to my current lineup.

steelersfan

#12 Post by steelersfan »

I know it will be worth the wait….

You are going to lose glass with retrofits no matter what, I guess.

And to those who think that the Schuco is no better then the rest and are overhyped. It took me about 2 seconds to see and feel the vast difference in quality and attention to detail with the Schuco as compared to the others that I saw. And the price was LESS then all but one of the others.

chrisexv6

#13 Post by chrisexv6 »

Just as a quick FYI -

14 of the 18 windows have been installed, and the installer did a pretty good job. 3 of the largest windows I had threw them for a loop when they realized the previous installers used 2x4 material (!!!) as trim around the 3 deadlites in my living room. After they ripped the window and 2x4 material out, it was obvious that I could have used an even BIGGER window and ended up with *more* glass space, that would have been cool, but I was most impressed that they were able to make it better looking than it started, regardless of the mess they werent expecting.

3 of the sliders are in, and they seem to be working pretty good. One of them needed a plastic burr trimmed off, one of them works perfectly, and one of them seems to have a misaligned track that the pin slides in to close the window (bottom pin on moving sash, it basically puts pressure on the sash as you are pushing it closed, then when it gets into the end of the track it "snaps" in. fine for closing but when you want to open it you need to push in a little on the bottom of the sash, whereas the top pin slides right out like it should). Luckily we're still waiting for the last 4 windows to show up, so I plan on exercising every window we already have to make sure it all works great, and bringing up any and all issues when the installer comes back with the final 4.

I have some pics but my computer room is in shambles (wives and their projects!), Ill post them as soon as I can.

-Chris

Window4U (IL)

#14 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I just emailed you and gave you some instructions for your installer for getting the slider to not "snap in". I am pretty sure that will do it to make them work 100%.