Need help choosing double hung vinyl replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jrollman

Need help choosing double hung vinyl replacement windows

#1 Post by jrollman »

Hello, I live in Raleigh, NC and have quotes from several contractors for double hung vinyl replacement windows. I'm looking to go with middle-of-road windows and each contractor uses a different manufacturer/model, and I am hoping folks here can provide insight as to which ones are recommended to go with in terms of quality and value.

Here's are my options to choose from:

- Alside: Mezzo model
- Great Lakes: Comfort Smart model
- Interstate: Invue 5200 model
- Atrium: 8300 series model
- West Window Company: West Edge model
- Vinyl Design Corporation: Mountainview 1000 series

If none of the above are recommended, what would you suggest?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need help choosing double hung vinyl replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'm not familiar with the last several, but the short list isn't what most folks would refer to as great choices.

Do you have a Soft-Lite, Sunrise, or Okna dealer in your area? Have you tried a map search based on that set of terms?

jrollman

#3 Post by jrollman »

Thanks for the feedback on the recommendations. Out of curiosity, why do you not think they are great choices?

I've only found one Onka dealer in the area and the ballpark quote was significantly higher (+$250/window) than the ones I originally posted.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

They are just not as efficient as a higher end window or properly designed to lower air infiltration in my opinion.
For great lakes, ask to see the “ eco smart”. Thats a decent window. He showed you the economical series which doesnt necessarily translate to value.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the above recommendations... I'd say that your existing choices for the most part struggle to be considered mid-range at best. Vinyl windows have a relatively mixed reputation, and the negative end of that is due primarily to the lower end products. Consumers buy cheaper vinyl windows, they are ready to be replaced again in 10 years +/-, and then they think its because vinyl must be a bad choice... The best advice that you can get is to invest in better products/installation. Consider financing or saving up if that doesn't fit the current budget.