Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mercedes E Class, Toyota Camry, or Ford Taurus
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:37 am 

From what I've seen on this site so far, windows can be likened to cars: Schuco is obviously the E-Class - top end, expensive, supposedly high quality. I think what contractors have been offering me so far (Devon, Excalibur) is the Ford Taurus - bottom rung, inexpensive, questionable quality, might last but probably won't end up looking too good. Where's the ones that could be considered the Camry's of the window world - solid, moderately priced, stylish in a simple sort of way, and will last just as long as the E-Class if cared for properly? I know they're out there somewhere.

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:48 am 

Good question but a tough one to answer. You will find dealers that offer the Camry at Mercedes prices and dealers that offer the Mercedes at Camry prices. For instance, I carry the Simonton Reflections 5500, the Simonton Impressions 9800 and Schuco in my vinyl lines (Good, Better, Best). Often times, nearby dealers try to sell their Reflections for more than I charge for a Schuco. Needless to say... business is good! It really depends on your area and the dealers available to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:58 am 

The Simonton 5500 with the optional Super Spacer is a really good window, certainly better than the Certainteed Devon or the Alside Excalibur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:49 am 

<Often times, nearby dealers try to sell their Reflections for more than I charge for a Schuco. Needless to say... business is good! It really depends on your area and the dealers available to you.>

Do you mind me asking where in IL you're located? We're in a western suburb of Chicago

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:08 pm 

No, I don't mind. My office is in Crystal Lake, IL and we primarily serve the counties of McHenry, Lake, Cook and Kane as well as the far southeast border areas of Wisconsin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:52 pm 

Thanks for the reply fenex, so far it seems to me that pricing has actually been fair as far as I can tell (see my other post on the subject). I spoke to the contractor again and he said the Simonton is comparable to the Devon - I have to say that everything I've read here says different. In the next few days, I'm going to have to pick a window so I will ask the difference between the 9800 and 5500 and see what the contractor thinks. One question that I have is if installation is so important and this contractor is used to installing Certainteed, is there a risk in having him install Simonton which the contractor says he's installed a few times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:58 pm 

Most vinyl windows are very close in basic design. Most installers will have no problem installing another brand.
The only exception to this would be something like a Schuco Inline slider that takes a bit of special training.

Post subject: Thanks FenEx
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:55 am 

but we're pretty far south of you in Will County.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:34 am 

Ironically, I think that might be one of the areas covered by the poster right right above you (Window4U). You can find his email addy in his profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:10 am 

[quote="Window4U (IL)"]Most vinyl windows are very close in basic design. Most installers will have no problem installing another brand.
The only exception to this would be something like a Schuco Inline slider that takes a bit of special training.[/quote]

I was told by a Schuco dealer that the Schuco slider should be installed basically in the same way a sliding door should be installed.

Is this true, I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:29 am 

Yes, on a basic level. But, there are things about how to adjust the window hardware if you run into problems that are window specific to this model.