Help with quota on casement windows in Central VA

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kotofei

Help with quota on casement windows in Central VA

#1 Post by kotofei »

Hello,

I am new to this forum. A lot of useful information and knowledgeable people here. However, I can't find the exact info I needed so asking this question; sorry if I missed something.

We need to replace two twin casement windows in a 30 years old house in Central VA. Each window is approximately 58 inch high and each single window is approximately 26.5 inches wide so the pair is approximately 56.5 inches wide including central spacer.

As replacements, we would like to get two white vinyl double-pane double casement windows with screens and without any grilles. One of the windows is for 2nd floor bathroom and should have tempered glass. I don't need high-end LowE coating since it blocks light.

I got several quotes from local and nearby (Richmond VA) installers:

- Vista windows (just Vista, the salesman said), $1765 total. The installer uses theirs own labor and has glowing reviews;

- Sunrise windows ( again salesman said "just Sunrise" but he is sure it's neither Essential nor Vanguard or Restoration), $3631 total. The installer, a small business, uses his own labor and has glowing reviews;

- Preservation windows, triple pane, $4140. Salesman said they don't have double pane and was overall sort of pushy. Don't know if they contract labor or not;

-ProVia windows, windows themselves $1797 plus installation $1760-$2640 ( they didn't visit us). Installer said they work with ProVia for a long time, are properly trained and have good reviews. So the total for ProVia will be $3557-$4437.

I like Sunrise windows more than others since they has a narrow frame and I'll be losing less glass space than with other replacements. On the other hand, Vista is almost 2 times less expensive. True, it's frame is a bit wider than the Sunrise but it's only like a third of inch.

Could it be that Vista windows are so much inferior that it's reflected in the cost? Or the installer hides something?

We live in Charlottesville, VA.

Windows on Washington

Re: Help with quota on casement windows in Central VA

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Sunrise is my preference on that list. If memory serves me, they only make one series of casement window.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Sunrise has a very nice casement. Provia’s is serviceable. I don’t personally have much use for the other two. The Vista is probably priced right, while the Preservation option should probably be the first one eliminated imo.

kotofei

#4 Post by kotofei »

Do you think Sunrises are priced right?

The salesman said cost is so high since windows are quite high, 58 inch.
Windows on Washington wrote:The Sunrise is my preference on that list. If memory serves me, they only make one series of casement window.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

It's tough to comment on pricing without know what stuff cost (labor and materials) in a given area.

Seems like it is fairly close to the other numbers so that seems to somewhat validate it.