New Cons. Window advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ryanj2284

New Cons. Window advice

#1 Post by ryanj2284 »

All,

Looking for some advice on new vinyl double hung construction windows. We have received a few quotes and wanted to gauge the opinion of the message board. We are in the northeast.

1. Berkshire Elite triple pane. In doing research, I saw that this is a similar to the Alside Mezzo which is not popular on the forums I looked at. I did notice there hasn't been much talk about the fact that Berkshire now has triple pane windows, but I am wondering if anyone has experience with them? I know there were some previous comments about the durability of the frame being unable to support triple panes. Obviously these came in under price than the next option.

2. Sunrise Restorations using a hybrid fiberglass reinforcement. They also are pushing the Ultracore insulation in the windows. I am getting some additional information on just the vinyl without the reinforcement as these were about 4k more than we were looking to spend.

3. Okna 500 with triple pane. Average price/window & install was $905. The company we are looking to do the install through is running a special offering triple for double pane price or $750 off. This quote came in only about 1k above the Berkshire, so this is where I'm leaning and towards the triple pane instead of $ off. Advised there was an additional lead paint removal cost, which no one else mentioned and that they prefer fiberglass batts(less possible mess) instead of spray foam, but will do either. The Okna window seems like the superior product, but is there any reason to be concerned about install? The rep obviously talked up that their installers have been with the company a while.

Looking for some general feedback about the windows or install.

randy

Re: New Cons. Window advice

#2 Post by randy »

Okna is the best of the options, and closed cell spray foam is superior to fiberglass in just about every way.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

X2 on Randy's post.
Did they test for lead paint or presume?
May be worth looking into. What year was the house built.

ryanj2284

#4 Post by ryanj2284 »

Great thanks for the feedback. I'm going to insist on the low expanding spray foam as well. They did a lead paint test which came back positive, so I don't think there's any way around that. I just thought it was strange literally no one else mentioned that.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

A lot of guys mention lead to instill fear and raise their prices.

There really isn't a lot of dust if we are talking about most insert applications for wood windows. Many guys just assume there is lead in an older home and contain the work area rather than testing and risk getting a false negative.

Replacing windows isn't like sanding paint off a wall or tearing down walls. Its one of the more contained home improvement projects you will ever do.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Another thumbs up for the Okna choice and spray foam. Airtight window, airtight opening.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

A Lot of contractors also mention lead because it is required by the EPA to do so. I would give the Okna contractor bonus points for doing so and actually testing.

The swab test contractors use are actually more like to give a false positive since it can not detect the amount of lead in the paint. Some contractors charge a lot for the lead portion of there work and do a poor job of cleaning and containment and vice versa. Have they gave you a price for the portion of the bid yet? The other way around the lead is to have the Windows tested professionally by chip analysis to or via xRF testing .

ryanj2284

#8 Post by ryanj2284 »

Yeah they used a 3m swab kit test. They quoted $550 for the cleanup and removal, which is obviously a good chunk of change.

What is the cost for the other methods mentioned? I don't know if there's even any professional testing in my area.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

$550 for how many Windows?
Hard to say on the cost for testing,especially with small pool of lisenced testing companies. You would be rolling the dice , if it is indeed positive you would have that additional cost on top of you're contractors cost. The closer the house in age to 1978 the less likely it will have lead. In my experience house before the 30's are almost always positive and houses from the fifties and sixties are less likely to be positive by EPA standards but are more prone to give false positives via swab test.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with Todd on the lead issue. While most reputable contractors are very mindful of keeping a clean jobsite, this is serious stuff punishable by harsh fines etc, not to mention the obvious hazard. If a company does NOT mention, or test, or charge extra for lead safe procedures and your home is older than 1978, that would be a red flag IMO.