Austin area - many questions about replacement windows (long)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Kavack

Re: Austin area - many questions about replacement windows (long)

#16 Post by Kavack »

I am in the same boat as OP. I did just get a quote for Berkshire Elite windows and it was really affordable. I was skeptical and wanted to see the windows. Turns out it’s the Alside Mezzo but with some nice upgrades like block and tackle, foam filled and reinforced. Might be more. I sure like them better than the Simonton 5500 which is just way to thick and the quality looks equal from what I see and is a much nicer design. Marvin’s were nice but the ratings were really poor. Anyone have any recent experience with the Revere Berkshire Elites?

LoneStarGuy

#17 Post by LoneStarGuy »

So PJS what did you end up choosing? We ended up going with Ringer for most of our windows. Already got two installed (DIY) and more to come. We are using Milgard for a narrow single hung that few companies offer (12 inches wide0 in their Style-line). We ended up having to temper one window we did not plan on due to its size, 72x60 slider.

pjs32000

#18 Post by pjs32000 »

LoneStarGuy wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:47 pm So PJS what did you end up choosing? We ended up going with Ringer for most of our windows. Already got two installed (DIY) and more to come. We are using Milgard for a narrow single hung that few companies offer (12 inches wide0 in their Style-line). We ended up having to temper one window we did not plan on due to its size, 72x60 slider.
I'm not sure if you're still getting notifications here, but I ended up postponing my decision due to a financial situation. Now I'm back looking again and am digging through my old posts and getting ready to start the process all over. I will likely restart from a baseline of Simonton and Sunrise with my 2 favorite local installers and go from there.

Have there been any material changes in the Austin market over the last 2 years in terms of available windows?

WNW2020

#19 Post by WNW2020 »

I am interested in this topic and the findings here. I have read a great deal about Sunrise Windows. I went to their website and filled in my info for Austin. However, they had someone from San Antonio call and they said Austin is out of their range

WE looked the Simonton but the Sash seems offly big and unappealing

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

The frame on the Simonton is, to put it bluntly, bulky.

Is the Soft-Lite Elements available there in Austin. It also runs a bit thicker than the Sunrise, but has some nice bevels to the frame that soften that dimension.

pjs32000

#21 Post by pjs32000 »

WNW2020 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 pm I am interested in this topic and the findings here. I have read a great deal about Sunrise Windows. I went to their website and filled in my info for Austin. However, they had someone from San Antonio call and they said Austin is out of their range

WE looked the Simonton but the Sash seems offly big and unappealing
I didn't get any quotes for Sunrise on my last round. Given that I keep reading they are one of the only really solid manufacturers in this market I'm making getting some quotes for Sunrise a priority this time around. I had the same experience with Sunrise referring me to a San Antonio dealer that didn't do work in Austin, but I've been following up with Sunrise's local sales rep and he's given me a few more leads. They had initially referred me to Statewide Remodeling in Austin but I've read horrible reviews on them, so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm expecting Sunrise to cost quite a bit too based on what I'm hearing, so I'm not sure I'll decide to go down that road in the end. For example Sunrise told me their product was designed to compete with fiberglass windows from the likes of Pella, etc. and not other vinyl windows. Statements like that just feel like they are preparing me for a pricey quote compared to what I've seen from Simonton and others.

I agree that the Simonton doesn't look very good cosmetically, the frames are very wide. My favorite installer from my last round of quotes really praised them though. I also just learned that a class action lawsuit was filed against them, which is concerning.

WNW2020

#22 Post by WNW2020 »

PJS3200

Can your share dealers from sunrise? I am very interested to talk to them.

All
We also got a quote for StyleLine from Milguard. Are those good Windows?

Thank you everyone for the help

toddinmn

#23 Post by toddinmn »

The Simonton lawsuit is interesting, thanks for making me aware of it. I am not familiar with makes there glass packs but it seems like a bit of there problem is dealer related. One reason I like Cardinal glass is they are very quality control oriented. If there is there a failure with glass packs they made they are pretty adamant about inspecting each one. They are the only ones I know that take this approach.

pjs32000

#24 Post by pjs32000 »

WNW2020 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:11 pm PJS3200

Can your share dealers from sunrise? I am very interested to talk to them.

All
We also got a quote for StyleLine from Milguard. Are those good Windows?

Thank you everyone for the help
Unfortunately I think the only one is Statewide Remodeling. I spoke to the regional Sunrise rep and I told him Statewide has terrible reviews, so he pointed me in the direction of a couple places in San Antonio that he thought dabbled in the Austin market, but after calling them I learned they don't do work here. Statewide is still the only company I've found, but I haven't gotten a quote from them yet. I'm also going to ask some of my other installers if they can order Sunrise and what that would cost. In the past at least one installer informed me he can pretty much get whatever window I'd like.