Austin area - many questions about replacement windows (long)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
pjs32000

Austin area - many questions about replacement windows (long)

#1 Post by pjs32000 »

I've taken the time to read a lot of posts on this board as I'm very overwhelmed by the information I've consumed here and elsewhere about replacing my windows. There is a lot of conflicting information out there and it's hard to filter through all of it. My apologies in advance because this might be a lengthy post and a bit of a brain dump.

FYI, my home is a single story ranch style, built in the 80's and still has the original aluminum single pane windows. I have 12 windows and need a variety of replacements - 6 double hung (2 adjacent), 5 sliders and 1 narrow picture window (only 10" wide). Draftiness, condensation and street noise are the main reasons I'm looking to get replacement windows, although I don't expect to see much in terms of a return on my utility bills since they are already pretty affordable for this area.

I see the following recommended manufacturers here: Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Okna, NT. In Austin this presents challenges. There are no Okna dealers. I haven't found a Sunrise dealer either, but I've contacted Sunrise to ask directly and am waiting for a reply. I found one NT dealer but haven't gotten a quote from them yet, partially because I already have a lot of quotes. The one Soft-Lite dealer is Zen, and I wasn't happy with my experience talking to them so I do not want to do business there. Also they were $4000 more than the other companies I liked, despite their supposed low overhead no salespeople business model.

This leaves me with the question of which manufacturers this board would recommend in my area. I currently have quotes for MI (throwaway to find bottom price, quoted by Window World), Renewal by Anderson (throwaway for educational purposes, way too expensive), Ringer (Elite 5400), Simonton (Evolution or Prism Perfection, which I believe are dealer specific names for the Prism Platinum), Alside Mezzo and Soft Lite Classic (from Zen).

Of these quotes, the installers I like are quoting Simonton and Alside. I have concerns about both windows though.
Visually the Simontons are not very appealing. They have thick frames and in 2 applications (two adjacent mulled double hungs and a narrow picture window) this could look poor. The Simonton dealer loves them though, he said Simonton is great for warranty issues and these are among the strongest vinyl frames due to having many chambers.

There appears to be dislike for Alside here but I haven't seen any reasoning behind it. Can you please share why? I'm nervous about going with Ringer because as a small local company I don't know if they'll be around if I have warranty issues in 10+ years. Also they stated use of low expansion foam during installation voids their warranty, they use fiberglass which seems worse to me.

Another thought I saw here was to make sure to get a reinforced sash. Again, could you please share the rationale behind this suggestion? Other sources have stated this isn't a very important feature and that failures at the meeting rails and hardware are relatively uncommon.

Another source I've read has stated that spacers are vital, and that Superspacer is the best. His suggestion is to upgrade spacers and that it's worth the cost. One dealer stated it's a waste of money because seal failure is covered under warranty, so if there's a problem I'll end up getting a replacement anyway. Who's correct here?

I've read here that cutting back drywall is the preferred installation method vs. just sticking a replacement into an existing opening. Is this just to get more glass or are there other benefits? If I have 2 quotes for the same window from installers I trust, but one is cheaper by $1000 and doesn't include cutting back drywall, which would you choose?

Finally in 6 quotes I've received 6 different interpretations of building code and which of my windows must be tempered. I read the code, and my interpretation matches none of the 6. Many quotes are being cautious and tempering extra windows, which feels like a sales tactic to me. I could get into details here but given the long post I will not, but what is the best way to handle code compliance issues and dealers that want to temper glass that doesn't appear to need it?

randy

Re: Austin area - many questions about replacement windows (long)

#2 Post by randy »

Of the options you’ve mentioned, I would choose Simonton with the following upgrades: reinforced sashes, double strength glass in all windows.

Simonton is good on warranty service. Sunrise does have at least one dealer in the Austin area, I believe. I wouldn’t recommend the Soft-lite dealer who met with at all. NT isn’t a bad option, it’s just not in the same league as the premium brands mentioned. An NT window with a great installation (spray foam, sheetrock cut-back, etc....) wouldn’t be a bad choice at all.

Alside is generally sold to two types of window contractors. The first purchases Alside because they can buy the window cheap, hire cut rate installers and run “10 premium vinyl windows installed for $2995.00” ads on the radio. The second type of contractor purchases Alside because they can buy the window cheap, hire average installers and sell them based on the “advertising promotional home discount” gimmick, offering ridiculous discounts for gullible homeowners. The age old rule holds; good things aren’t cheap and cheap things aren’t good.

As long as you don’t get Intercept Spacer, you’ll be fine.

Any company can go under, big or small.

Alside’s warranty is available online and I don’t see any reference to spray foam being an issue for them. AAMA certified closed cell spray foams don’t void the warranty when properly applied. They may not feel comfortable using foam, but that’s a separate issue. Fiberglass is next to useless unless for installations like yours.

Reinforced sashes help prevent sag over time, and they provide a more stable material to secure the locks into.

A roofer can save you a good deal of money by just laying a new layer of shingles over your old layer, since tearing off the old shingles requires a good deal of work and it’s messy. But if you want your new shingles to perform as they were designed, it’s worth the extra expense and effort to have the first layer taken off. Same thing with cutting back the sheetrock. Yes it takes more time. Yes it’s messy. Yes it costs more. Yes it’s the proper way to secure and seal a replacement window.

As I understand the code:
If the window (glass portion) is within 18” of the floor AND the glass is over 9 sq. ft, it has to be tempered. Both conditions must be met to require tempering.
If the window is within 24” horizontally of an exterior door, it has to be tempered.
If the window is in a shower or tub, it has to be tempered.
If the window is in a stairwell or the landing to a stairwell, it has to be tempered.

I’m sure one of the guys here will set me straight if I’ve misstated something here.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Windows in stairs tubs ,next doors do not require safety glazing if the edge of glass is more than 5' from standing surface. It doesn't matter if the door is an interior or exterior door and it is 24" from any edge of the door in the closed position to edge of glass. Execeptions to that rule are if the window is next to a closet door and the closet is less the 3' deep , if the window is on an adjacent wall and the fort does not swing into the window. Windows within 5' of a bottom or top riser. Stairs can be interior or exterior. Not to mention all the other confusing requirements and exceptions I missed.

pjs32000

#4 Post by pjs32000 »

Thanks for the response to my brain dump stream of consciousness post. A few clarifications are below. Also I heard from a Sunrise dealer so I may go ahead with a 7th (!) quote.

- Ringer is the one that stated they use fiberglass during installation and that foam voids their warranty, not Alside.
- I agree that big and small companies can go under. Most of the installers are smaller regional companies that have been in business no more than 10 years. But at least the window manufacturers have a bit more history and likely less risk of going under. In Ringer's case, they are both the manufacturer and installer and have little history which makes me more nervous. At least if I split up the manufacturer and installer I have somewhat mitigated my risk and hopefully at least one of them will last and hopefully whichever remains honors their warranty. With Ringer, if they go kaput all of my support goes kaput with them.
- The Simonton windows I've been quoted do have double strength glass, I'm not sure about the reinforced sashes. I don't think they have that.
- Zen really rubbed me the wrong way which basically ruled out Soft-Lite for me. I hate their model of not meeting with me and making me collect all of the measurements. Lucky for them (or maybe unlucky) I'm an informed consumer and I know exactly what I want, so I probably made their job easier than most do. However that also means I have detailed questions and since they won't come to my home until I basically award them the business and they come to my home to measure, I'm not interested.
- I have one dealer quoting both Alside and Simonton and generally I liked them. I don't see them as falling into either of your categories.

Other questions:
- What's the problem with the Intercept Spacer?
- "Fiberglass is next to useless unless for installations like yours." Did you mean to say that fiberglass is next to useless for installations like mine or except for installations like mine? My uninformed opinion is that foam logically seems like a better insulation material in terms of filling in gaps around the new windows.
- Is sash sag a major concern? From what I've read I haven't heard of this being a big issue.

Code:
My understanding is there are 4 categories, each with multiple criteria.
1. Adjacency to doors:
A. If on the same plane (wall) as a door, within 24" of either side of the door while closed, and the bottom is less than 60" from the floor tempering is required.
B. If on perpendicular plane (wall) as a door, within 24" of hinge side of door, and the bottom is less than 60" from the floor tempering is required.

2. Window properties
A. If pane is larger than 9 sq. ft., the bottom is less than 18" from the floor, the top is more than 36" from the floor and there's a walking surface within 3' the sash must be tempered.

3. Adjacency to bathtubs/showers.
A. If the bottom is less than 60" from the floor and the glass is less than 60" from the water's edge of the tub (horizontally) then tempering is required.

4. Bedroom egress.
A. Min. height is 24", min. width is 20", min. opening is 5.7 sq. ft is required. Exceptions apply for replacement windows that are of the same operating type (slider, double hung, etc.) if the replacement is also the maximum possible size for that particular type of window.
Example: I have 2 single hungs with a 40% operable sash and a 60% fixed that are less than 20" wide. My replacements will be double hungs but the sashes will be 50/50, so I'm increasing the opening. Is the only way to meet code for this to keep them as single hungs (same operating type) but also change to 50/50?

My preferred installer said that any window within the direct swing of a door needs tempering. This makes sense to me for safety reasons, but I didn't see it in the code. In my case one window is 24.5" from the hinge, but is less than 24" from the jamb, so per the letter of the code (edge of door) it doesn't need to be tempered.

The installer also said that while code requires tempering if within 24" of a door or hinge, some inspectors interpret this as within 24" of within the swing of the door. I completely disagree here as the code is very clear, and this impacts 2 of my windows.

My installer said that anything under 60" from a drain, not just a shower/tub, in a bathroom needs tempering. I have one window near a sink but more than 60" from the shower and he wants to temper this. Again I saw nothing about a general "drain" in the code.

Also I have one high window inside a bathtub wall, the bottom is more than 60" from the tub floor. My installer said than any window inside a shower requires tempering, but I didn't see this in the code.

All that said, he wants to temper 5 windows that I don't believe require it per the letter of the code. Additionally he won't temper just a single sash in these windows, but wants to do both sashes. This will add a non-trivial amount to my price, I'm guessing at least $500. He's taking no risk with the code and he's catering the the most strict possible inspection standards because he said some of the inspectors don't interpret the code properly. But I'm the one footing the bill. He's worried that if he doesn't do it and it fails inspection I'll blame the installer and will expect him to fix it at no charge in order to close the permit, and he doesn't want to do that so the safe way is to charge me up front.

LoneStarGuy

#5 Post by LoneStarGuy »

Pjs,
Ringer told me that the use fiberglass too. They said I could use whatever I like but the warranty would be void if the foam pushes on the window and causes issues. The only concern I have with Ringer is not seeing them on the NRFC website or getting numbers on air leakage, plus them not doing siding. I still may go with them if my siding/painting contractor can order them at a fair price.

My Alside quotes were temptingly cheap but lacked detail on glass or the install - they were another one of those measure yourself and then they come out after you commit. Plus I am concerned about quality over the long haul.

Are you in Austin or one of the burbs? I am in Round Rock which apparently has less strict regulations than Austin. In Austin, you can fail if the SHGC or u-factor is too high. Austin also will apparently allow hard wired smoke detectors to compensate of lack of egress if you are installing into brick. I had one company out to quote Simonton who were really over zealous on code, telling me that the glass area had to be 5.7 square/feet upstairs. They had a good siding price but I did not like the Simonton Profinish they offered.

I would love to know how you found someone that does Sunrise in Austin, as their site doesn't list anyone. I ruled out Zen as they don't do siding and is a lower end Soft-lite. With the storms that came through in the last hour with 60mph winds i saw our first water infiltration issues on our old windows...... I got to get this moving.

I am currently waiting on my siding company (more of a siding company) to come back with alternatives to the brand they suddenly stopped using. I am hoping to stay w/i my budget but get a mid or higher grade product. They suggested Milgard but are looking into NT, Simonton and Ringer, plus I asked if they could get Sunrise or Soft-lite. Have you got any quotes on Milgard? Their warranty sounds strong and they will easily meet egress in their Tuscany or Slim-line products.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat with lack of good options and installers in the area. For those up in Wisconsin or the Northeast, it was in the 80's here today....... tomorrow will be "cold" with highs only in the 60's. Want to move to the best city in the USA per US News and World Report? Austin has plenty of opportunity.

pjs32000

#6 Post by pjs32000 »

Hey LoneStarGuy, I've been keeping an eye on your posts too, they've been informative. I'm in Austin proper, not RR. I have found 2 installers that I get good vibes from, but I'm still trying to sort out the product details and make a decision there. Both of these installers were recommended by a realtor friend, have great reviews on BBB, Yelp, Angie's, etc., they had the best answers to my installation questions and both have an install warranty. Both of them are able to get windows from multiple manufacturers. If PMs are possible here (I'm new to the forum), maybe we should share some local dealer/installer feedback privately. The biggest concern I have with them is their lack of knowledge or interpretations of the building code, which would mean they are asking me to spend more than seems necessary.

Some comments on your points:
- The Ringer rep told me foam voids the install flat out, she didn't provide the conditional statement you got. Even with that condition, I'd be afraid they'd be quick to pin the blame on the use of foam if there ever is a problem. Also their installers probably aren't as experienced with using foam which could be problematic.
- I received Alside quotes from a pretty reputable company that came to my home. If you want, you should be able to find other Alside dealers.
- I had one dealer show me code that mentioned the smoke detector concession you mentioned, but it was outdated. That code was from 2013 I believe, and the current code is from 2015 which makes no mention of the old brick vs. wood openings or using smoke detectors in cases where the normal window code isn't met.
- I don't think I'm familiar with the Simonton ProFinish. Simonton's product lines are tricky to make sense of. Both dealers I have Simonton quotes from use a product name that is exclusive to that dealer. They've both told me that it's a rebranded Prism Platinum. However when you go to Simonton.com and navigate to their products page the Prism Platinum is nowhere to be seen, so they must call it something else. But if you just Google search for the Prism Platinum there are hits on that product name, with brochures. It's very confusing. Anyway, cosmetically I don't love the Simontons but structurally they seem to be the best that I've seen so far.
- I filled out the email request form on Sunrise's website, and received a voicemail from a Sunrise rep that covers TX.
I haven't called back yet but he said he might be able to point me in the direction of a dealer, but that's still TBD.
- I haven't gotten any quotes for Milgard but a product called "slim line" has my interest because I like the look of thinner frames and have a few applications where that is very important: 2 are close to egress requirements, one is a narrow window where too much frame will be bad, and I have 2 adjacent windows and I don't want 7" of frame in the middle of the field of view. This is one of my issues with Simonton but strength and quality is probably more important than cosmetics in the long run.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

pjs32000 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:54 pm Thanks for the response to my brain dump stream of consciousness post. A few clarifications are below. Also I heard from a Sunrise dealer so I may go ahead with a 7th (!) quote
Not A big Sunrise fan, i'm sure others love them and have no problems though.

- Ringer is the one that stated they use fiberglass during installation and that foam voids their warranty, not Alside.
- I agree that big and small companies can go under. Most of the installers are smaller regional companies that have been in business no more than 10 years. But at least the window manufacturers have a bit more history and likely less risk of going under. In Ringer's case, they are both the manufacturer and installer and have little history which makes me more nervous. At least if I split up the manufacturer and installer I have somewhat mitigated my risk and hopefully at least one of them will last and hopefully whichever remains honors their warranty. With Ringer, if they go kaput all of my support goes kaput with them.
- The Simonton windows I've been quoted do have double strength glass, I'm not sure about the reinforced sashes. I don't think they have that.
They have it as an option and it's fairly inespensive, you should get it.
- Zen really rubbed me the wrong way which basically ruled out Soft-Lite for me. I hate their model of not meeting with me and making me collect all of the measurements. Lucky for them (or maybe unlucky) I'm an informed consumer and I know exactly what I want, so I probably made their job easier than most do. However that also means I have detailed questions and since they won't come to my home until I basically award them the business and they come to my home to measure, I'm not interested.
- I have one dealer quoting both Alside and Simonton and generally I liked them. I don't see them as falling into either of your categories.
There are more than the 2 categories listed, some can be very good installers IMO.

Other questions:
- What's the problem with the Intercept Spacer?
Not the best performing but i have had very few problems with them, no more than anything else. The stainless intercept is a bit better performer though.
- "Fiberglass is next to useless unless for installations like yours." Did you mean to say that fiberglass is next to useless for installations like mine or except for installations like mine? My uninformed opinion is that foam logically seems like a better insulation material in terms of filling in gaps around the new windows.
- Is sash sag a major concern? From what I've read I haven't heard of this being a big issue.
Foam is the way go.

Code:
My understanding is there are 4 categories, each with multiple criteria.
1. Adjacency to doors:
A. If on the same plane (wall) as a door, within 24" of either side of the door while closed, and the bottom is less than 60" from the floor tempering is required.
yes.
B. If on perpendicular plane (wall) as a door, within 24" of hinge side of door, and the bottom is less than 60" from the floor tempering is required.
If the door does not swing into the window I would not temper, yes if it does.

2. Window properties
A. If pane is larger than 9 sq. ft., the bottom is less than 18" from the floor, the top is more than 36" from the floor and there's a walking surface within 3' the sash must be tempered.
yes

3. Adjacency to bathtubs/showers.
A. If the bottom is less than 60" from the floor and the glass is less than 60" from the water's edge of the tub (horizontally) then tempering is required.
not if it's on an adjacent wall.

4. Bedroom egress.
A. Min. height is 24", min. width is 20", min. opening is 5.7 sq. ft is required. Exceptions apply for replacement windows that are of the same operating type (slider, double hung, etc.) if the replacement is also the maximum possible size for that particular type of window.
Example: I have 2 single hungs with a 40% operable sash and a 60% fixed that are less than 20" wide. My replacements will be double hungs but the sashes will be 50/50, so I'm increasing the opening. Is the only way to meet code for this to keep them as single hungs (same operating type) but also change to 50/50?
Since they are both hung windows I would have no problem going with 40/60 or 50/50 with a double hung.

My preferred installer said that any window within the direct swing of a door needs tempering. This makes sense to me for safety reasons, but I didn't see it in the code. In my case one window is 24.5" from the hinge, but is less than 24" from the jamb, so per the letter of the code (edge of door) it doesn't need to be tempered.
correct.
The installer also said that while code requires tempering if within 24" of a door or hinge, some inspectors interpret this as within 24" of within the swing of the door. I completely disagree here as the code is very clear, and this impacts 2 of my windows.
I would agree with you.

My installer said that anything under 60" from a drain, not just a shower/tub, in a bathroom needs tempering. I have one window near a sink but more than 60" from the shower and he wants to temper this. Again I saw nothing about a general "drain" in the code.
I have not seen this either.

Also I have one high window inside a bathtub wall, the bottom is more than 60" from the tub floor. My installer said than any window inside a shower requires tempering, but I didn't see this in the code
I would not temper it.

All that said, he wants to temper 5 windows that I don't believe require it per the letter of the code. Additionally he won't temper just a single sash in these windows, but wants to do both sashes. This will add a non-trivial amount to my price, I'm guessing at least $500. He's taking no risk with the code and he's catering the the most strict possible inspection standards because he said some of the inspectors don't interpret the code properly. But I'm the one footing the bill. He's worried that if he doesn't do it and it fails inspection I'll blame the installer and will expect him to fix it at no charge in order to close the permit, and he doesn't want to do that so the safe way is to charge me up front.
You're at his mercy or would have to make some type of agreement to satisfy the inspectors request. Keep in mind that cities may have there own codes that are stricter than the IRC code, these would supersede the IRC.

LoneStarGuy

#8 Post by LoneStarGuy »

I misnamed the Milgard line, it is Style-line not slimline although it is a slimmer frame - https://www.milgard.com/windows/style-line-series

I don't think PM's are possible here.

I began the process by looking for siding contractors who install James Hardie siding. Through the James Hardie referral site, my current preferred vendor is the only one in Austin with a 100% recommendation rate (from 30 reviews). I am still a little hesitant because windows are not their core business, but I have not seen any negative reviews about their window installs. They advertise they don't hire subcontractors, or use day laborers and all their installers are employees. Based on how the installers talked about differences between their installs and those they do for one of the bigger companies, I would not be surprised if they are the subcontractors that others use. A plus is they offer a 20 year warranty for window installation issues.

The company who wanted to push casements and was very focused on code was also well recommended at 98% from 340 Hardie customers. However, to me their prices on windows were too high for the products offered (Simonton ProFinish Contractor). But they really got me thinking. As some companies heavily encourage online endorsements, I look more for negative reviews to find ones to avoid than super high volumes of good ones that could be bought and paid for so to speak. Except for Ringer, I've focused mostly on siding companies as that is the bigger job I need done.

I had one highly rated company offer NT Windows, but their one year labor warranty lost me.

Ringer says:

"Insulate between the window frame and rough opening with fiberglass batt insulation or equal. Expansion foam can impair operation or distort frame. Ringer Windows does not recommend using expansive foams and it could affect the user’s rights under the warranty." and "NEVER USE EXPANDING FOAM INSULATON AROUND THE WINDOW, AS IT CAN DISTORT OR COMPROMISE THE FRAME".

I am not sure what is equal to fiberglass batt.

I'd suggest you call and talk to Greg Ringer to ask him about the foam and the warranty or send him an e-mail. He explained it well why he doesn't use it. My wife really liked the look of the Ringer windows. I just wished they did siding and had info published on air leakage.

Ringer will sell directly to the public.

As only two of my old windows have broken seals (SW side), and only one has a broken balance system I am half tempted to do the install myself (or with help) before I have a siding company out. My highest electric bill this past summer was $50 using 985 kw/h and my biggest gas bill this winter was $95. At my energy costs and the efficiency of my new HVAC system, attic radiant barrier/solar screens / home orientation (only two windows on SW side) and heavy tree shade for all the others, I don't think the savings from spray foam versus fiberglass will be that significant. I mainly prefer it for noise reduction/comfort (less air leakage).

Hardie is heavy and messy, not something I want to tackle as my house is 30 feet tall. Plus I don't want to breathe it. I used it before to repair my porch and it is nasty to work with. That said, I think I can have the Hardie installer butt the planks up to Hardie Trim alongside the old windows, then if I need to replace another old one i can just remove the trim and install a new construction window, tape and reinstall the trim and caulk. I just found out a co-worker's husband is a window installer, and she told me he could help and to call him to ask how much he would charge. Decisions, decisions.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

It is nice to install the windows as you're doing the siding with windows with nailing fins, the system needs to be tied together.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Select one contractor if you can and have them do both.

With regards to the foam bowing the frames, Ringer is incorrect here and is living in the past if they think that window and door foam is an issue with windows.

pjs32000

#11 Post by pjs32000 »

LoneStarGuy wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:51 pm My wife really liked the look of the Ringer windows.
This is one of my dilemmas too, balancing the technical specs and strength vs. appearance. Visually I liked the Ringer windows look as well, they were clean and contemporary. However I found their screen pull handles to be hideous. Cosmetically the Simonton's aren't the best either.

I'm struggling to find a window that I think meets all of my criteria: structurally sound, good warranty, reputable company, affordable, visually appealing, thinner frame, energy efficient.

I'm not getting siding done but both of my top 2 installers right now do siding work, and I believe one in particular has certifications and awards from Hardie. It's likely we're talking to some of the same companies.

pjs32000

#12 Post by pjs32000 »

LoneStarGuy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 pm I would love to know how you found someone that does Sunrise in Austin, as their site doesn't list anyone.
FYI, I just spoke to the Sunrise rep and he told me that Statewide Remodeling is his local dealer here. He said they typically sell the "Restorations" line here. I'm just now starting to research this window and local installer.

Edit - at first glance the reviews for this dealer look bad, but many of the negative reviews seem to be related to high pressure sales tactics. We'll see what my experience is like. I don't get upset over such tactics because I'm perfectly comfortable saying no and telling them to leave me alone. I'm more interested in their installation reviews than their sales reviews.

randy

#13 Post by randy »

I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts about the company and their sales presentation afterwards. They are a high pressure operation to be sure, and their pricing will be quite high.

LoneStarGuy

#14 Post by LoneStarGuy »

PJS, did you meet with Statewide? If so, how did it go?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#15 Post by masterext »

Which sunrise series is it?