Quote for Preservation windows. Too much?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Schoolhouse

Quote for Preservation windows. Too much?

#1 Post by Schoolhouse »

Hello,

We are in the process of replacing 14 windows and received a quote from a preservation windows team. The sizes are as follows:

9 - 36"W x 71"H Double hung

2- 36:W" x 24" Awning to be fused with 2 - 36" x 47" Double hung with "rain drop" privacy glass on bottom sash

1 - 36" W x 24"H Double hung with "rain drop" privacy glass on bottom sash

2- 23" W x 27" Double hung

Details:
-Oil bronze hardware
-Interior Foxwood trim
-Exterior Brick/mold trim (viynl)
-On second story of house with windows current windows as single pane made approx. 1962
-Price is installation and haul away of old windows/debris

Quoted price: $28,250

Thank you in advance for your thoughful condsideration and comments

Windows on Washington

Re: Quote for Preservation windows. Too much?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is this the Preservation window that is made by Alside (i.e. is this a vinyl window)?

Without knows the specific installation details, I will refrain from commenting specifically on price. What I can say is that there are better vinyl windows out there and many times, they will come in at a better price point.

I would suggest that you expand your search a bit and see if any friends or neighbors have yet had their windows replaced and start with that short list.

Schoolhouse

#3 Post by Schoolhouse »

Thank you. Yes, these are manufactured by Allside and are triple pane vinyl. Do they have specific model information that I should get?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Preservation is a very dated design. Pocket capture sill, very bulky, etc. Personally I would not consider it at any price.

Schoolhouse

#5 Post by Schoolhouse »

Thank you,

What recommendations would you have for comparable or better. We are looking for a wood/woodlike finish on the interior side.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

There are no shortage of of options with a welded sloped sill and excellent performance ratings like Softlite, Okna, Sunrise, Polaris, etc... However there IS a shortage of them available out on the West Coast if I'm not mistaken. In the Alside family, the 8000 series is a better option. Simonton, Amerimax, and Milgard are generally respected out there as well to my knowledge... Unfortunately, on this site, most of us that contribute as well as consumers are in the Northeast and Midwest.

Schoolhouse

#7 Post by Schoolhouse »

Okay, Thank you. This is the model that the quote was for:

"ENERGYMAXX 10
EnergyMaxx 10 is our ultimate glass system. It delivers performance 65% more energy-efficient than standard double-pane glass systems and nearly 80% more than clear single-pane glass units because it combines two panes of multiple layer vacuum-deposition Low-E glass with an interior glass pane and two insulating chambers of krypton gas. The result is a triple-pane insulating glass unit that delivers ultra-high energy efficiency. And, because all three panes are made of glass, the distortion and haze that can result in non-glass systems is eliminated."

is this still a dated design as has been mentioned or is this an update? I have calls out for other bids and want to see if I can get a comparable window. I think I am limited mostly to Milgard, JeldWen and I am not sure of my other options yet

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Unless there are major differences based on region (which could be the case), I'd say that description is dated as well. It sounds like it is written to present against Heat Mirror, which was a type of glass that has not really been popular for some years due to its high rate of failure. It basically has a suspended film between the two panes of glass to improve efficiency-- which it did quite effectively, until the film let loose and looked terrible. I believe that its still around and supposedly improved, however not nearly as widely offered as it once was...
As far as the glass in that window, its fine. The problems that I have with that window are in the frame design more than the glass. A pocket sill channels water through channels in the frame which is undesirable, and the bulky frame loses a bit more glass than more modern designs that maintain the same strength or better. While that is not my favorite manufacturer for various reasons, the 8000 series that I mentioned previously addresses those faults to in large part.

Schoolhouse

#9 Post by Schoolhouse »

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed has some good ideas.

The Preservation in our market was exactly as described above...bulky, mediocre, with really good marketing.

If you stayed with an AMI product, bump it up to the model that HomeSealed mentioned. If not, Amerimax seems to get pretty decent feedback and Milgard makes a decent window as well.

Schoolhouse

#11 Post by Schoolhouse »

I wanted to follow up with an update. Quotes that I am receiving seem to mostly deal with Milgard. I am getting quotes on their Tuscany and Essence series and wanted to know your thoughts on these models. Thank you again for the feedback.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Milgard, now having re-focused in the West Coast market, seems to have been running pretty squared away and without much issue.

Schoolhouse

#13 Post by Schoolhouse »

Thank you very much for the feedback.