Vinyl Door Suggestions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
InfoSponge

Vinyl Door Suggestions

#1 Post by InfoSponge »

What brands of vinyl sliding doors do you all recommend/sell? I'd like a good place to start looking. Is $1200 or so a good starting price point for a 5-6 foot double-pane argon/LowE door installed (I don't need top of the line stuff)? I've got lots of brand/store choices in Simonton, Great Lakes, Home Depot, Lowes, Alside, Andersen, Schuco, Pella, Sunrise, Republic, etc. I want a door that will last 15+ years, operate well, require little maintenance, and be energy efficient. I am in a fairly inexpensive labor market and my install would be fairly standard. I'm also willing to consider other materials (fiberglass, etc.) if they have similar or better performance compared to vinyl in the same price range.

Are there any web forums similar to this one but for doors?

XSleeper

#2 Post by XSleeper »

The Anderson Narroline or Perma-Shield Gliding Patio Door is always a nice standby. I'm not a big fan of Anderson's windows, but I gotta say I do like their doors.

Other than that, I've installed a PH Tech door (Canadian) and Thermal Line Windows makes a compozit Series 2000 patio door that I like- especially with the light or dark interior woodgrain. My mother-in-law likes hers! :lol:

InfoSponge

#3 Post by InfoSponge »

I must say that the Andersen web site is the best I've seen for any window/door company. It is absolutely loaded with technical information with a little less marketing speak than usual.

Other window companies should check out the "Performance" and "For Professionals" tabs and the further options that show up on the left after that for good examples how to build a web site packed with details, but it is hopefully still usable for average consumers who don't want as much technical jargon. The site does have some flaws, though, like not properly emphasizing the materials the door is made out of (it looks like Vinyl and Pine) and not directly comparing the lines to help consumers pick. It does estimate retail prices, which helps to get rough orientation on materials cost.

Example Page: http://www.andersenwindows.com/servlet/ ... il&tab=3-1

It doesn't look like I have got a local PH Tech or Thermal Line dealer, but I'll definitely take a trip to look at the Andersen doors. It looks like they offer a retractable screens on some lines, which is a nice feature if it isn't too expensive. Thanks for your recommendations.

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

I went to take a look at the Andersen vinyl-clad sliding doors. They looked to be of reasonably good quality. The Narroline door was much easier to open than the Perma-Shield, though I don't know if the showroom install/door was at fault for that. Anyone know if they generally differ in that respect? I would prefer a double-locking door, but can live with the single lock they offer.

Does anyone have experience with the Andersen retractable screens? (I was uanble to see one in person) Do they last? Do they actually form a tight enough seal to prevent insects and other things from entering the home at the screen edges?

flygirl

#5 Post by flygirl »

The Andersen retractable screen is JUNK. I've seen it, operated it, wouldn't take it if it were free! Cheap - Cheap - Cheap.

Watch the terminology on some of the brands mentioned - many of them are a pine product (the softest, hardest to stain) "shielded" by some other material that will have a different expansion and contraction rate than that of the pine. Equals delamination in a short period of time. And why are they so worried about the main frame material that they have to "shield" it??? Not a fan.

Go with a substrate that is more stable - fiberglass, for instance, as you mentioned. Have you seen, do you have access to, the Milgard Ultra product line? It has a very nice option of a VG fir to the interior. I like the way it operates - feels substantial.

InfoSponge

#6 Post by InfoSponge »

I was originally interested in Milgard windows and doors, but the nearest dealer too far away, so I never got a chance to look much closer than the web site and a brochure they sent accompanying a letter stating there were no local dealers.

I was worried that the retractable screen wouldn't last. If it is that bad, it is sad they manage to charge something like $250 extra for it.

I've also had problems staining some types of pine (it did not stain as evenly), but I would be painting these doors, so that isn't an issue in this case.

Tru_blue

<sigh>

#7 Post by Tru_blue »

<Sigh>
OK I'll say it before someone else does. Flygirl it's not my intention to offend you with this post, and I admire your enthusiasm for Milgard (nothing wrong with that), but your knowledge of non-Milgard products is somewhat lacking. You are not an expert on Andersen products as is evidenced by your previous post. I winced as I read your take on Andersen and I don't even handle Andersen products. However I have seen you give good advice on other topics since you joined this forum 2 days ago (welcome, by the way). You may wish to put a bit more thought into the topics addressed or tone down your criticism if you're going to talk about products other than the ones that you handle - oftentimes statements (usually the type that a salesperson might make to a customer in the privacy of their home) offered here are challenged by the other pros in this forum if they're misleading or not factual. I agree with you on the retractable screen though :wink: