Casement window questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JamieM

Casement window questions

#1 Post by JamieM »

I'm looking at replacing my 30 year old AW 400 aluminum clad casements with vinyl inserts since the Anderson frames are still very solid. Nothing fancy, probabaly just white on white and no grids. A couple questions before I begin my quest in central Iowa.

I have not reached out for any quotes yet. I found local dealers for base Sunrise, Soft Lite LS and Zen windows. Dealers for Gerkin, Richlin, Lindsey Pinnacle and maybe Provia Endure are also close by. I'm still checking into any Polaris dealers available in my area.

I've seen posts about Sunrise casements not having much differences within their window lines. How does a base Sunrise casement compare to the Imperial LS or even the LS to the top series from Zen?

All bedrooms are on 2nd story, and I measured the clear opening to be right at 6 sq ft. Since my pocket opening is only 26 x 45.5, will I even be able to meet egress with that frame size? Or am I looking at full frame replacements to meet egress code? Outside of house the window frame measures 28.5 x 48 which I would think be pretty close to the rough opening size. The vinyl siding j-channel butts right up against window frames except the top where the soffit j-channel butts up to the frame.

Thanks,
Jamie

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Casement window questions

#2 Post by masterext »

You can certainly go into the existing opening. As far as egress, you are “grandfathered in”, meaning if they werent egress before, they dont need to be egress now. If you were creating a new opening, the egress could then apply.
Thats how it is in new jersey and i am somewhat sure its like that in other states as well.
I prefer the imperial LS over the standard sunrise. There are indeed some differences amongst the various sunrise options, particularly the sash reinforcement which i like. That said, you are getting casements? Sunrise make one of the nicest casements i have seen.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Soft-Lite uses the same window through all there lines in the casements. There will be differences in the glass packages, foam enhancements, and maybe the weatherstripping. The Sunrise compare very well and are perhaps prettier.You probably don’t need to meet current egress code but I would double check .
What’s wrong with the Andersen’s?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Your current CW14 do meet egress.
If you do full frame replacements make sure they meet egress. Full frame replacement is the only way to meet egress in your case.

JamieM

#5 Post by JamieM »

Todd, the Andersen's were installed in 1988 when the house was built, you can hear lots of noise from the outside and some of them are hard to open or don't open all the way.

Since you're one state north of me, do you have any opinion on the lesser window alternatives such as Gerkin, Richlin or Lindsey?

affordablewindows

#6 Post by affordablewindows »

They are much more efficient than Imperial LS, if your windows tends to more sunlight they can be more energy efficient too.