Window quote opinions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
epicly confused

Window quote opinions

#1 Post by epicly confused »

Hi Everyone,

I am in the Atlanta area and have 43 windows to replace. I have 3 quotes so far:

1. Okna 500 DX $26,500. Great installer reviews.

2. Simonton Asure $18,000 for solar low E. Great installer reviews and is local.

3. Zen (Soft-lite Classic) $29,000. Good reviews but don't know much about them.

I know the Simonton is by far the lesser window but the price disparity has me considering it. Probably moving in the next 8-10 years. Visible glass is an important factor.

Thank you for any/all opinions. Mike

Windows on Washington

Re: Window quote opinions

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think you answered your own question a bit here don't you?

The Okna window is the best product in that comparison by a good bit over the Asure and still better than the Classic in that comparison as well.

If the Simonton installer was using that upper end products (i.e. the 9800 or 5500 or Platinum), the spread would be lessened but still in favor of the Okna. The best thing about the Asure is the profile size and glass size, but the Okna is a 1:1 comparison in that case if I am not mistaken.

Couple that with the superior performance of the Okna and I think that is probably your best choice here. The bigger difference I see here is more relative to how the Simonton installer is doing a quality job at the number that is quoted. I just don't think you can operate at those type of numbers/margins and stay in it for the long term. That is just a general observation based on the cost of doing business is all.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Are the install methods the same for each bid?
What are the details of install?
8 years is short time and money wise probably makes sense with the Simonton, the longer you stay the Okna is a good bet. In my old house I went with a cheaper line because I was moving because it would not make financial sense, my new house I went top of line triple panes since I planned on staying awhile . If you feel the install is going to be the same either way, the Simonton could be what’s best for you. $400 is about the bare minimum one could. Do those for in an insert with wrap.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Staying in your home 8-10 years is a rather long time. The simonton assure is their lower end offering and its flimsy.
My feeling is that too many homeowners hyper focus on energy savings alone and there is much more to it; aesthetics and the hard to quantify comfort factor come to mind. Aesthetics may seem trivial but a cheap looking window will cheapen the look of your home. As far as comfort factor, a window that is more air tight ( lower air infiltration rating) will make your home much more comfortable, whether its very cold out or very hot outside. If you have a home filled with simonton assure and a home filled with a higher quality/ air tight window, you will feel a difference, there is no disputing that. If you save money and go with a lower end window and it really doesnt solve your problem to an acceptable degree, is it really worth it? Was it a wise investment?

epicly confused

#5 Post by epicly confused »

The installs should be fairly equal based on my conversations with each of them.

Given the fact that my home is architectural stucco and the current windows will have to be cut out, does the Okna quote for 43 windows at $26,500 sound like it is reasonable? Mostly DH with a few half rounds and PWs.

The Simonton is $200 less per window but will probably lean toward Okna just to maintain the quality level of the home.

Thanks for everyone's help.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The pricing is very fair, sounds like you’ll appreciate a quality window.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Super fair.

With a stucco cut back, that is down right cheap.