PLEASE HELP...Which is the better window for us

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gigglebeans

PLEASE HELP...Which is the better window for us

#1 Post by gigglebeans »

We have two quotes for replacement windows. We live in Portland, OR and are replacing 21 windows. The quotes are only $400 dollars apart and we are not sure which is the better window. First is the Cetainteed Insulate Series vs. the Milgard Classic Series. Certainteed has the Thermaflect glass and argon gas. Which is the better window? :shock:

pdxman1

What about LBL?

#2 Post by pdxman1 »

I can't answer your question but I am also in the process of getting estimates in Portland OR. I am also considering the Milgard Classic, but am comparing it to the LBL 2000 series. In my opinion, it looks a bit nicer than the Milgard. It aslo has Super Spacer and a better U factor than the Milgard Classic (.31 vs. .34). LBL is slightly more expensive, but because of the U factor it qualifies for the energytrust.org rebates which might offset its higher cost.

mman

certainteed vs. milgard

#3 Post by mman »

lbl is not a bad window, but the testing done on it does not accuratley show wind and air filtration. The weep system is very big, and allows air to flow directly into the house. Milgard has the better warranty of the three and if you want to be in the house for any period of time (over 5 years) go with the better warranty. Milgard makes the windows right in Portland, so you always have a better warranty when things are done in your back yard. Hope this helps.

pdxman1

Re: certainteed vs. milgard

#4 Post by pdxman1 »

mman wrote:lbl is not a bad window, but the testing done on it does not accuratley show wind and air filtration. The weep system is very big, and allows air to flow directly into the house. Milgard has the better warranty of the three and if you want to be in the house for any period of time (over 5 years) go with the better warranty. Milgard makes the windows right in Portland, so you always have a better warranty when things are done in your back yard. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information. It is strange that the test numbers do not reflect the reality on the air infiltration. That seems like it would be the easiest thing in the world to test. I can understand that the testing cannot reflect how the window might perform after years of wear, but why wouldn't it reflect the performance of a new window? Has anyone else seen this with LBL or other windows?