Replacement Windows- Please Help! Sunrise vs. MI

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bjheiser

Replacement Windows- Please Help! Sunrise vs. MI

#1 Post by bjheiser »

Hi there, I am new to the replacement window game and I am trying to get as much information as possible to make the best decision on this expensive investment! I have tried to get myself as "versed" as possible about windows, but recognize there are a lot of experienced and smart people that may be able to provide some insight! So thank you!

I am looking to replace wood casement windows and have finally wrapped my head around vinyl, not needing to necessarily put wood back in. We have a Honey Oak trim, so we would be looking to replace with a vinyl that has a wood grain match.

I have met with 7 local/national companies and based on a balance of options and price I think I have it narrowed down to Thebco (Sunrise Windows) and Window World of Madison (MI windows?) Both have a lifetime warranty that includes accident breakage. Anyone have any insight into either honoring the warranty?

World of Windows comes in about 50% cheaper in cost, but Thebco has a good reputation around the area. One difference is that Window World does not foam fill their frames, while Sunrise uses a fiberglass core "FiberCore". I have read that that filling the frames is mostly a gimmick and doesn't improve performance/strength, is this true? Is there value in the FiberCore?

Another difference is that Thebco has AWDI certified installers, which is specifically mentioned by Consumer Reports as an important factor.

Basically it comes down to: A. Is the FiberCore and AWDI certification in combo with the Sunrise windows enough to justify the 50% greater price? And B. For being the largest window replacement company in the nation, I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews and examples of Window World sticking by their product to help me be comfortable choosing them.

Any insight that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

bjheiser

Re: Replacement Windows- Please Help! Sunrise vs. MI

#2 Post by bjheiser »

Forgot one more thing! Insert or Full Frame replacement? I know full frame is more expensive, but not astronomically different. Window world only charges an extra $115 per opening, while Thebco was $325 per opening. I am concerned with losing window area with an insert installation and have been told that casement style vinyl windows typically have a wider frame when installed as an insert compared to other window types.

Is there anything to be concerned about, other than the extra cost, to doing a full frame install?

Thanks again!

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Between the two windows, there isn't much of a comparison. The Sunrise is superior by order or margin.

On the full tear out vs. insert question, just depends on what that extra bit of glass is worth to you.

The $115 number seems awfully low for the additional materials and carpentry work to be honest.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

That price is very low, Window World does like to add add-on cost for everything to keep there base price low and are not known for there quality. Details are very important especially in a full frame install.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I too would go Sunrise, make a great casement.
I like full frame. You should save gain 1 sq ft or more of glass with full frame. There is additional cost for full frame both in material cost and labor. So make sure you know if the interior casing is prefinished.

theWindowNerd.com

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Its not even close, Sunrise is so much better. MI Windows are garbage in my opinion. Window world cater to those who are only concerned with price and not quality. If you dont mind having a flimsy , cheap looking window in your home, i suppose window world is fine.

bjheiser

#7 Post by bjheiser »

Thanks for the input everyone! Really glad I found this site! I guess I will be going with the Sunrise Windows!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I kind of breezed over the fact that you are in Madison.

If you are in Wisconsin, there is only one company to call in this situation and he is a regular contributor on this forum.

HomeSealed is the man in Wisconsin and without question your best option in your state.

Feel free to click on his name here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7036

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I was not sure if Brandon covered Madison, but he does.
I agree 100% you should contact HomeSealed.

fridge2020

#10 Post by fridge2020 »

Drop the MI from consideration. Bargain basement product. The Sunrise is good, and maybe get another option to compare.