Window installation warranty question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Visual

Window installation warranty question

#1 Post by Visual »

Is a 1 year installation warranty for window installation acceptable or would you recommend longer?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window installation warranty question

#2 Post by masterext »

To be honest, if an install related issue does occur, it would usually be within a year. It would be very rare for an issue to happen after a year. “Acts of god” are usually not covered under the workmanship umbrella and issues such as those can occur at anytime and are rarely related to the quality of an installation

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I used to do a one year install warranty. But in my market two year seems to be more the norm. I also think it is reasonable for all concerned.
I life time labor warranty tends to be to burdensome and full of legal tricks as well.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd personally not consider an installation warranty less than 10 years. I agree that most installation issues tend to pop up within the first year, but not all. Keep in mind, you will almost certainly pay more for a company with a longer workmanship warranty. There is a saying in this industry : Companies stay in business for as long as they can afford to service their installations. Getting off the hook with a short warranty is one way of doing that I suppose, but I'd rather keep happy clients and their referrals down the road. A lifetime warranty can be burdensome to the contractor yes, but certainly not to the client, and there are no more legal tricks inherent to a lifetime warranty than any other warranty term. In fact, most if not all states define what a "lifetime" warranty means. In WI, that is 30 years. Other states are 50, and some may be other lengths as well.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Warranties are often just a sales tool, there are many more important things then warranty to consider 1st.Take a look at the warranties through out any industry and you will see that warranties often have nothing to do with longevity, quality, or reliability .

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 am Warranties are often just a sales tool, there are many more important things then warranty to consider 1st.Take a look at the warranties through out any industry and you will see that warranties often have nothing to do with longevity, quality, or reliability .
Warranties most certainly ARE a sales tool, however they are NEVER just a sales tool. Any company that has installed substantial volume for more than 10 years will certainly vouch for that. Most established companies have dedicated service personnel for that reason. I'd agree that there are other more important factors, and also that just because someone offers a longer warranty it in no way guarantees quality, however it does guarantee that they are responsible for fixing things that would come up. If you do not believe that there is value in that, then we can agree to disagree.