Am I Going Insane?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fridge2020

Re: Am I Going Insane?

#16 Post by fridge2020 »

He's not being honest or straightforward. The other guys are right. Those are multiple units. It sounds like he may just rip people off on single units for $2k each so he doesn't charge much more for doubles. You are getting good advice here from honest professionals but you seem to not want to believe it. No skin off anyone's back but yours.
I would recommend that $60k guy, but at least what he's doing is pretty typical for shady operations. This guy lying about units is just weird

seabiscuit68

#17 Post by seabiscuit68 »

Sorry if I come off as not listening, I was simply trying to determine why my perception of prices and the reality of prices are so disconnected. Through more research and what you guys are telling me, the disconnect happens due to a few things:

1. Full Frame replacements add 20-25% to the cost of install
2. Storms in MN have driven up prices
3. The number of openings does not equal the number of windows
4. I'm looking at the highest end windows, not double pane mid tier windows

I think a lot of the early quotes I read were for people doing inserts with a lot of double pane windows that were pretty basic / small.

I guess my new target price is about $35k.

seabiscuit68

#18 Post by seabiscuit68 »

Also, I typed this up on the other forum to give the full details of the windows:

Alright, I am finally home and can break this down since it isn't exactly clear what I have and what I'm getting.
There are 18 holes that I'm filling. Here is a breakdown of the 18 holes:
2x - 21" x 61" Casement with 2x 21" x 14" picture on top. Not sure what this type of window is referred to.
2x - 21" x 61" Casement
56" x 37" - Double Casement + Picture
45" x 37" - Double Casement
2x - 21" x 37" Casement
4x - 21" x 62" Casement
80" x 51" Double Casement + Picture
68" x 51" Double Casement + Picture (Tempered)
44" x 51" Double Casement (Tempered)
2x - 21" x 51x (Tempered)
53" x 51" Double Casement

The quotes I got were as follows:
1. Custom Sunrise (Triple Pane, XL Edge, Argon, Full Frame Replacement, non-Prorated Lifetime Warranty) = ~$40k
Per Opening: ~$2250
Per Window (29): $1379

2. Imperial LS - (Triple Pane, Super Spacer, Argon, Insert Replacement, non-Prorated Lifetime Warranty - swapped some of the casement with double hung and some of the casement + picture for just casement or double hung) = $33k
Per Opening: $1833
Per Window (25): $1320

3. Home Depot Simonton 6500 (Triple Pane, Super Spacer, Argon, Full Frame Replacement, Pro-rated Lifetime Warranty - swapped two of the Double Casement + Picture to just Double Casement) = $32k
Per Opening: $1778
Per Window (25): $1280

Are any of these reasonable prices? Just for kicks, I had the Home Depot guy do the Double Pane Andersons = $48k lol

seabiscuit68

#19 Post by seabiscuit68 »

I also might look into just trying to fix the rotted sills on the existing windows. They are wood windows from 1990 (double pane). I'm sure there is zero chance I make up even a tiny fraction of the money spent on these 18 windows through energy savings, so it seems like a good idea to see if I can salvage the existing windows before spending a ton of money on something that gives very little added value. I don't plan on selling anytime soon, so by the time I sell in 20 years, the "new" windows won't be viewed as "new" to the buyer, removing all added value I would gain.

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

seabiscuit68 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:09 am Sorry if I come off as not listening, I was simply trying to determine why my perception of prices and the reality of prices are so disconnected. Through more research and what you guys are telling me, the disconnect happens due to a few things:

1. Full Frame replacements add 20-25% to the cost of install
2. Storms in MN have driven up prices
3. The number of openings does not equal the number of windows
4. I'm looking at the highest end windows, not double pane mid tier windows

I think a lot of the early quotes I read were for people doing inserts with a lot of double pane windows that were pretty basic / small.

I guess my new target price is about $35k.
1) Yes, and sometimes more.
2) Debatable, but definitely possible from dealer to dealer.
3) Correct :D
4) That appears to be the case.

Regarding your thoughts on repairs, it really depends on the initial specs of those windows and their condition. In most cases, while a full payback in energy savings alone may not be realistic, it would certainly be much more than a tiny fraction over the 20 years that you plan to stay there. Also consider the comfort, ease of use, maintenance, improved home value, etc. For some reason folks get hung up on windows needing to completely pay for themselves in energy savings, and they aren't "worth it" if that doesn't happen in 5 or 10 years. If savings are the ONLY reason for doing it because your old windows look and operate great, then perhaps that has merit. In most cases they don't (especially not 30 year old wood windows), and those other factors should be considered as well. People don't save any energy by replacing their interior doors, or flooring, or through the vast majority of remodeling projects, but that does not make them poor investments.
Ultimately, if your current windows have low-e double pane glass, are in good shape, operate well, and don't leak air, then you are probably right that replacement may not be needed quite yet. I would just be careful about how much you invest on repairs of the old ones knowing that replacement will be inevitable, even if not for a few more years.