what really makes a window bad?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
windowmannjny

what really makes a window bad?

#1 Post by windowmannjny »

i have not been in this business for as long as many regulars on this board, but i am curious about a few things. i know a couple of real crappy windows by reviews and actually seeing them installed, but unfortunatley the average consumer will see the energy star symbol, the nfrc rating, welded, warm edge spacer (although i know a lot arent high on the warm edge, it still is not awful) constant force balance etc. and then the "write-ups" in the brochures are always glowing, it really must be tough for the average consumer not to be very confused if someone could explain why these windows are not quality that would be appreciated. thanks and looking foward to the usuals for replies

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Interesting question because just when you think one isn't very good it performs quite adequately. Currently we have thirteen different windows in the home at the office and another five in the office and are in the process of changing a few. One thing we did notice this past winter was how much quieter and warmer a triple glaze with krypton unit was over a couple of others close by that were dual glaze.
We've been at it over twenty five years and are still learning thanks to boards like this. Experience is the real teacher. I can't begin to count the spiral balances I fixed or replaced over the years so when the topic comes up, I just say there junk.........that's flipant but what else can you say when you know the block & tackle and constant force are so far ahead of them. Someone should write a book, but it would take forever and probably wouldn't sell.
Better yet read all the archives on this site and it's sister site and if you can digest all that you should have all the answers.
Back to that triple glaze, I know we'll be pushing it a lot more this year but only when the warranty and mfrg's reputation is right.

researcher

#3 Post by researcher »

What really makes a window bad?

Poor performance
Poor longevity
Poor looks
Poor insulation

When those four are avoided, it's not bad.

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

So, if those things are good, but the construction of the window is poor, then it's still a good window???

mman

#5 Post by mman »

I would also take the warranty (how many exclusions it has) and how long the company has been in business into account. Those two factors can really show the pride a company takes in their window and construction. In my opinion, if you build a bad window, you won't be around that long.

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

mman wrote:In my opinion, if you build a bad window, you won't be around that long.
I gotta jump in on that one. There are plenty of poor windows out there that have been around along time and will continue to be as they service the uneducated consumer. Unfortunatley.

mman

#7 Post by mman »

Good point. I suppose I should put an * next to that statement.