Which window?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fdp4fun

Which window?

#1 Post by fdp4fun »

I am researching replacement windows. My current windows are about 35 years old, wood and single pane - I have storm windows to help seal things in. I live in Atlanta, GA - so winters aren't too bad! Primary reason for considering replacement - some of my old windows stick - years of paint.

I'm meeting with sales people almost every day through next week - but due to other factors the brands that I've seen seem to be limited to Thermal Industries (not sure the window) and Alside (UltraMaxx).

Main constraint - exterior color has to be brown (dark brown) and interior must be white.

I have 7 windows to replace - all are about 52x28 (sash size). Are there other manufacturers that make windows in this two-tone color scheme? Which manufacturer offers the best price/value? I don't want to go too high-end - the building is old, and needs other cosmetics too - and I don't want the most expensive windows in the neighborhood either - nor the cheapest/tackiest!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Sunrise has a white vinyl window with a brown laminate, http://www.sunrisewindows.com/options.html#colors ,and Traco has the P2, http://www.traco.com/respg/resid_powertwo.htm ,which has an aluminum exterior and vinyl interior. That may be better than most of the vinyl options for resisting the sun and heat down there.

wayside

#3 Post by wayside »

Marvin makes a fiberglass window (the Infinity) which has "bronze" as an exterior color choice. It looks pretty dark brown to me. http://www.infinitywindows.com

There's another fiberglass window company called FiberFrame which offers the ComfortLine window, which also has a "bronze" exterior, however they also offer something like 1200 custom colors. I would imagine you could find a dark brown in there. http://www.fiberframe.com

mman

#4 Post by mman »

I agree with Window4u. If you HAVE to have brown exterior, don't go with any vinyl windows that offer that. They do not perform well over time in the sun, hence the fact that many manufacturers who used to build them no longer do (service nightmares). Fiberglass will be the way to go, but it will definetly be pricier. My question to you would be, why brown, do you live in a condo? If you do, try and get in front of the commitee's and see if you can convince them to go white. White is more updated, and performs better, and will offer you more options with windows and costs.

pdxman1

#5 Post by pdxman1 »

mman wrote: ...
If you do, try and get in front of the commitee's and see if you can convince them to go white. White is more updated, and performs better, and will offer you more options with windows and costs.
While colors are being discussed, I'll take the opportunity to ask if there is any reason not to go with tan or beige. I prefer the look of tan or beige on my house but can go with white if it performs better. I am in the portland OR area so I don't get much realy hot weather.

mman

#6 Post by mman »

My personal and professional opinion would always be to go with white. Thre reason is that white goes with EVERYTHING and you can paint the house any color you want in the future without clashing. While beige and tan will also work, they do have a few colors that look strange when side by side. Also, some places will charge less for white because it is more in stock. If you really want to go crazy, look intot he fiberglass window options, because the frames are paintable without voiding the warranty.