Chicago Area/Illinois Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CaddyB

Chicago Area/Illinois Windows

#1 Post by CaddyB »

HI Everyone.

I am buying an older condo that needs new windows. I am not even sure a can replace the windows (is there a building code), but I would think so. One is a big bay window and I would like to put one of those flat, contemporary windows there.

I am on a very tight budget. Can anyone tell me about window companies in Chicago!

Thanks much!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Your first concern living in a condo is to see if your condo association has any rules and restrictions as to what you can do. Many associations have to approve the project and the window used to make sure the new windows conform to the rest of the building(s).

Instead of starting this with searching for companies, I would first narrow down your search quickly by asking yourself some questions, like what material do you want...i.e. vinyl, wood, wood clad. Do you want grids, and if so do you want authentic looking grids, or grids between the glass? Do you need historic looking windows to match architecture? What color exterior do you need and what windows have that color? Do you want a solid color inside, a faux woodgrain, or real wood? Once you answer these questions, then narrowing down your choice of brand is your next step. Size may also be a consideration. Many companies have strict size limits, and Chicago has some buildngs with very large windows. I would do some research here first and use the pros on the board to bounce ideas off of and help you narrow down the selection. Then, find qualified companies who are dealers for the brands that interest you, see the windows in person and start getting quotes.

CaddyB

#3 Post by CaddyB »

Thank you.

Should I just start my understand of this whole project by visiting home depot. I got a flier in the mail saying something about complete install, etc. for 599, that is what got my attention!

I think windows can make a big difference.

Oh, another question, if my building was made in 1920 (has been regutted since), do they even make windows to fit the holes anymore (maybe they are so far outdated).

Window4U (IL)

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I wouldn't start at Home Depot. Half the contractors in the city have the same window for less and with better installers.

Vinyl windows are all custom made. There is no extra charge for making it to fit your openings perfectly.

HoffmanTL

#5 Post by HoffmanTL »

I would also first suggest that you find out what your condo association allows for windows. Most places have a "uniformity code" where you can only have certain types of windows and certain colors. Some associatation will only allow casements, or only sliders, or only brown windows, etc.

If you have neighbors that have replaced their windows, I would ask from whom they got them and how much they paid. Most people are happy to share their consumer experience with you, especially if it was really good or really bad!

The nice thing about condos is that your neighbor's place is (probably) laid out exactly like your unit and you can see the replacement windows in their installed form. It's kind of hard to envision what a window will look like in your condo when you're scrolling through the Home Depot. :)

Baker

#6 Post by Baker »

definantly check the association rules first. Most of them are extremely strict. Mine even has regulations about what type of window, who intalls them (not specific companies but requirements of the company) specific installation requirments, specs for trim size etc. The board of driectors even has to have teh installation inspected after at my cost. They also want a copy of the proposal, a contract they have signed by me and the installers, pictures of the windows submitteed for approval before installation. Most sales people I dealt with were shocked at what my association needed to do the job.

Kathy

Parkside windows in Chicago?

#7 Post by Kathy »

Does anyone have an opinion about Parkside Building Company, which manufactures windows here in Chicago? Our contractor uses them, but we are not sure of their quality.

Thanks much . . .

Window4U (IL)

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I have been doing windows in Chicagoland much of my career but don't remember ever hearing of them.
I did a google search for them and only found a "site under construction" page. Nothing else.
I also looked at the NFRC.org, and they have not been rated.

It sounds like a lot of questions should be answered before considering them.

mman

#9 Post by mman »

have you considered looking at Milgard windows? They are a window manufacturer that has been in business for over 40 years. They are reasonably priced and offer a wide variety of products, high, middle and budget.