Where are the pros at?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
arthur37

Where are the pros at?

#1 Post by arthur37 »

I am looking for information from some of the pros on this site for your thoughts on the best built casement window. I am replacing windows in a home that is in the historic district of Indy. The interior must be wood and vinyl or alum exterior, grids must be certain widths and so on it is very strict. I know you get what you pay for, I don't want all the problems that come with casement windows. Lets hear it.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

I just did a house in the historical part of St. Paul on Summit Ave. This is the same street that has our Governor's mansion. I had to deal directly with the MN Historical Society every step of the way. We ended up using the Vetter Aluminum Clad wood casement. The exterior cladding was dark bronze with a maple interior. The exterior capping was a bit tricky as it had that old colonial five inch brickmould. After a couple practice bends we got it right on the money. I really like the windows and how they perform. The bigger windows didn't seem to crank in a difficult manner as most do. Otherwise Pella, Marvin & Loewen all have good products. (jmo)

Guy

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I think you'll find that Marvin is a consensus favorite on this site, in terms of product quality. Guy likes Pella, but most others here, including myself, consider it overpriced and overrated. Roll formed aluminum cladding should always be avoided, in my opinion.

Loewen makes a good window, but it is a little pricey. Eagle, which is now owned by Andersen, is also worth considering, as they offer a well built product and 50 standard exterior colors to choose from.

Good luck.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

My favorite for historical work is Marvin, and I'm not a wood window fan. I've sold Pella, Vetter, and some Kolbe's and find they've all bettered there products since the late 80"s and believe they well all perform pretty close to the same. I too prefer a extruded exterior, but Pella makes some nice products also..........but at how much. The thing I can't get over is the price. If your going to spend that kind of money you might as well go all the way and get the H window or Lowen, they are super products.
I've tried the eagle retrofit and liked most of the line but have had some trouble with proper fit on the double hungs on the bottom making a good seal. They do have a nice array of colors and the fact that they well stain is a real plus. So many windows so little time.
My faith is in the future of fiberglass. Marvin is making pretty good headway but there splitting the product with the Integrity going to everybody and the Infinity to select people somewhat like the Renewal deal. I believe the original post here asked for the Pro's opinions.....I get just as confused as the customer, and staying up with everything is getting confusing for me too, as products keep changing and sometimes the new and improved is worse than the old.

Tru_blue

The best wood casement

#5 Post by Tru_blue »

Randy mentioned all of the same brands I would have mentioned. However we would differ on the pecking order - I would rate Pella as my favorite (except for their single glazed with a glazing panel). I'll have to call him sometime, or better yet talk over a round of golf . . .

randy

#6 Post by randy »

Your profile doesn't say where you're located Tru_Blue, but if you're up there in the Yankee North, I don't golf until it's at least 70 degrees. You could always come here to Houston if you don't mind golfing in an outdoor sauna.

Maybe Guy could join us, he's a Pella fan as well.

Since I've never installed a window in my life, I will say that the opinions of the pros on this board who do installations every day should weigh more heavily than mine. They are the ones who really get to see how well built a window is. I get to deal with obtaining product, selling product and generally dealing with the manufacturers.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#7 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Randy, grab your clubs hop an airplane or hitch a ride with Big Blue Hearts. Their a band from Austin that's making a few stops up here. The ice on the green is gone and it's perfect for golf. Bring your hammer and we'll throw in a few windows on the way to the links.
My background is sales and finance but about 20 yrs ago I got tired of the installers constant up-charges and put on my tool belt and went to work.
What I learned is they were right. A simple install of just removing the stops and setting the window is one thing but fitting that window into an opening that's out of square or has milled stops or one hundred other things is another world.
Where I'm going here is that everysalesperson should be taught how to install. It increases their knowledge ten fold and that experience helps gain the customer confidence and close deals. Not to mention the error in communications.
Oh BTW since our office borders a golf course with a fence we have plenty of once hit Pro-V balls. So hop a ride with the band and we'll take care of the balls.
Something else for you pro's, we have access to a thousand one year old laptops just coming out of lease, and are equiped with some kind of software that lets you print the contract in home and is writeable on the screen. I don't have all the details yet but there going to be around $500.00@

Guy

#8 Post by Guy »

Window Guy your in my neck of the woods and there's nothing better than "Ice Out" for golf, "Deer Hunting" & "Ice On" for ice fishing. Best times of the year!! I may be interested in a couple of those laptops. Shoot me an EM when you have more info. Nothing better than teeing off when it's 60 degrees while the sun is coming up. Then the Ranger chases us off the green for sneaking on!!! (JK)
Randy, Window Guy is very correct on getting out there in the field with one of your installers for a day watching and helping out. The knowledge you will gain is incredible. Just make sure you go out with someone who will spend the time showing you the ropes. It will be beneficial for you even in the sales department. It will also give you a better understanding of how to deal with an upset customer or an installer feeding you a line of bull. Hope you get out soon!!!

randy

#9 Post by randy »

Alright, you two have talked me into it. Friday I will be installing windows with one of my crews. Lucky for the customer, my crew will be there to keep me from screwing anything up too badly.

By the way, here in Houston 75% of our installations are taking aluminum single pane windows out of brick openings. We aren't fortunate enough to have the good old wood window removal.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#10 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

What a way to start, that well make you a super pro when you get your degree.