need double-pane window advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cathy404

need double-pane window advice

#1 Post by cathy404 »

I just bought an older (1974) home with a 16 ft long and around 12 ft high wall of 8 windows in the front room. They are old and have a couple sealed cracks in them, and you can feel that they are not energy efficient when you stand next to them.

I would like to replace them with double panes with a blind between the panes. My dogs like to put their paws up on the window sil so it would be better if the blinds were inside the windows so the dogs wouldn't tear them up.

Also the strips of wood around the windows on the outside is rotting a little (not much) on the outside so that needs to be replaced. It is not rotting badly, just on the outside (I had an inspector look at it). I assume this is included in the new windows?

The bottom four windows would need the blinds but the top four, which are higher, wouldn't. I am not sure I would even need the top four to be double paned.

What brands of windows should I be looking at? I probably want the most cost effective ones, but they must have all the requirements I described.

I imagine they'd still be pretty expensive since they are double pane and have the blinds in between.

I am just starting to look so any advice would be appreciated!

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Pella has a Designer series which would meet all your requirements. I would recommend doing all your windows. You don't have to do them all at the same time, but you can try and do as many as possible. You can then do the remaining windows at your convenience. I'm really not sure who else has the inner blinds. I'm sure there will be someone along to answer that question. I'm not sure what neck of the woods your in, but your local Lowes can get you your best price on the windows. The installation part is hit and miss with each area. I know we install for Lowes here in MN along with another company. Both of us are very seasoned companies that stand behind our work. Unfortunately all the other areas across our Nation don't have the same luxury. Good Luck!!!

cathy404

#3 Post by cathy404 »

when you say do all the windows, did you mean all the windows in the house? It looks like the previous owners already did one with the double blinds and it looks great. It is on the side of the house and I am wondering why they only did that one. Maybe it was broken and/or they didn't have the money to do any others.

I know someone who sells windows for home depot so I will definatly get a quote from him. But I have heard h.d. is expensive so I am going go get other quotes too.

I just did a bunch of work on my pool so it will be a couple months before I can afford the windows. Will the quote likely be $500-$900 per opening? I was wondering about the cost.....would it likely be $12000 or $6000? I was kind of waiting a couple months to get any official quotes since I don't want to get them this month.