Finding a Soft-lite dealer in central Ohio

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
SethPetryJohnson

Finding a Soft-lite dealer in central Ohio

#1 Post by SethPetryJohnson »

Hello everyone! Been doing tons of research re: windows lately and I stumbled across this forum. Big thanks to all of you as I've found it very helpful.

I see many people on here recommending Soft-lite, specifically the higher end models. But when I go to the Soft-lite website and use the dealer locator tool, I only get 3 hits:

* Zen Windows, which I understand doesn't carry the higher end models you all recommend

* Unique Home Improvements, which has a single Angie's List review (which is an "F" for Gutter Guard services, not windows)

* Empire Windows, which has a "B" in Angie's List but is flagged as not paying their advertising bill w/ AL

I think I read on here that I need to have an "authorized" dealer manage the installation in order to preserve the full warranty coverage from the manufacturer. Is that true? If so, does anyone have experience with Unique or Empire, or are there other Soft-Lite dealers in the area I should contact?

Windows on Washington

Re: Finding a Soft-lite dealer in central Ohio

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

A single review for a non-window service wouldn't necessarily put me off on that dealer.

Any time we are talking about Soft-Lite in terms of brand quality, you can throw Sunrise and Okna in that discussion. perhaps there are more of those dealers around.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I certainly wouldnt let a payment dispute between angies list and that particular window company be a reason for you not to consider them. That should have nothing to do with the integrity of the company.

SethPetryJohnson

#4 Post by SethPetryJohnson »

re: Unique Home Solutions, I guess my concern is that a company that's been around since 1983, claiming to have served 30,000 customers, has only a *single* review in Angie's List, and it's an F.

I understand that an installation warranty is only as good as the company providing it, and if the company goes out of business the warranty is worthless. Just struck me as odd that plenty of other window companies in the area have tens or even hundreds of reviews, and I was hoping someone on here might be able to legitimize them a bit.

re: Empire not paying their advertising bill, agree it's not a huge deal, just stuck out to me.

I am getting a quote on Okna windows later in the week.

Thanks!

fridge2020

#5 Post by fridge2020 »

Those could be alarming, but I'd take a look at other review sources as well. Some companies just don't do much with Angies list in generally, and others are soured on the fact that they are now owned by Home Advisor. Personally I've had home advisor leads say that they never contacted home advisor and only contacted angies list. Sounds like there is some questionable stuff going on with all that ethically speaking. Check out other sources though. Google reviews etc. If the trend is not great all around, then move on. If everything else is good and only one source like angies is bad, then its probably an exception. You could also call softlyte and ask for a referral.

Double Hung

#6 Post by Double Hung »

"has only a *single* review in Angie's List"

Angies List is a sales lead generation company, thats in partnership with Home Advisor (ex, service magic); nothing more, nothing less.