Future of Starmark and stuck in window limbo

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
thedeuce

Future of Starmark and stuck in window limbo

#1 Post by thedeuce »

Hello - a few years ago we used a company here in the Chicago-land area to do Starmark casements (and some mixed casements with picture windows) on our entire first floor. The product is great, I wasn't 100% happy with everything that went on during install, but they've worked out fine. We went back and tried to do our entire second floor a few weeks ago and after ordering and depositing we were contacted by the installers in our area that the suppliers for the Starmark products raw materials went out of business and they didn't know if/when the Okna factory would have them going again. Tried contacting two days ago, was told the Illinois rep would contact me (haven't heard anything yet) so I contacted the local install company and they informed me they are returning my deposit as they might not be doing them anymore. I'm not really sure where to turn, every attempt at getting information about the situation has been met with resistance.
My initial thought is to bail on Okna/Starmark and go with another company, but I'm left with trying to research windows again. A few years ago, I didn't like the look and feel of even premium vinyl windows, so I think I'm left with Fiberglass as a choice. Can anyone provide any direction? It seems the local expert in this area (Dave) isn't around anymore either. I'm sort of left without knowing where to turn for good quality windows now. I found this forum very helpful a few years ago, and was hoping someone would have some insight this time around. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Future of Starmark and stuck in window limbo

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you want to shoot me an email, I can get this looked into for you.

Please include all of your contact information.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

There are some transitions in process (product updates) on that line as far as I know, however some of the other information that you have been given seems to be erroneous. I wonder if the dealer that you used may be having some issues... Either way, please do reach out to Eric (WoW) and I'm sure that he can help get to the bottom of this.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Okna is changing extruders for the Starmark line. If I remember correctly the old was a Royal extrusion, the new is a Chelsea extrusion. Hang tight, they will have the transition done soon.
I have seen the new double hung, extremely nice.

theWindowNerd

thedeuce

#5 Post by thedeuce »

I'm doing casements, not double hung. I talked directly to starmark and they actually told me to find another window, they had no idea when/if I would be able to buy casements.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

My understanding is that Okna is completely out of the old composite lineal for casements, and therefore can no longer match the older casements. They do still have some material in stock to match the old double hungs and sliders, but it will be exhausted in the next couple of months as well.

fridge2020

#7 Post by fridge2020 »

just do the vinyl casement. Looks and performs very close. Not sure about the comment about not liking the look and feel of vinyl, the CPVC composite looks and feels exactly like vinyl.