Milgard Style-line thoughts?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LoneStarGuy

Milgard Style-line thoughts?

#1 Post by LoneStarGuy »

Before pulling the trigger on a window quote from a local manufacturer, I went up to DFW to look at the Milgard showroom. I was very impressed with them. I liked the look of the window and their lock which auto-locks when the window is closed. The rep told me they would meet egress in the Style-line or Tuscany series, but not their Hermosa line. The rep said the recommend Hermosa along the coast. They also said they can't ship the Tuscany to Texas with argon - as it is made up in Denver.

What are your thoughts on Milgard's Style-line and particularly having big windows using a single auto-lock? I read a lot of reviews saying to upgrade to Tuscany over Style-line but what if the Tuscany cannot get the argon? The performance specs of the Style-line are close to my local manufacturer (Ringer) - same SHGC and VT, u factor of .28 versus .29 at about the same cost. The Milgard Style-line slider is an LC-PG25 while the Ringer is a DP40 - I am assuming DP40 is better? I am also reading Milgard's specs that their single slider has air leakage of .05 - not sure if that is too good to be true or if it would stay that way as the years pass.

Any pros/cons on the Style-line? Would it look odd to mix windows in different rooms / sides of the house from different manufacturers? I really like the Style-line locks but I get better grid options and glass choices from my local manufacturer.
Last edited by LoneStarGuy on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Milgard Style-line thoughts?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Haven't see anything from them of late as they aren't on my coast, but they were quality at the time.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I’m not a fan of the auto lock on any window as they tend to become problematic over time, in my experience.

The Styleline is a pocket sill, and that’s always a bad design. Stick with a sloped sill and you’ll be much happier in the years to come.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Randy's feedback.

We only ever used the Tuscay (sloped sill) and the few jobs that we did with the Auto-Lock all seemed to have issues. I am not a fan of the auto locks either.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Auto locks blow, and they don’t seal as tight.

LoneStarGuy

#6 Post by LoneStarGuy »

Here is a follow-up. Today, I ordered ONE Milgard Style-line single-hung. I already installed an awning and slider from my local manufacturer. This Milgard SH will be 12x60 (sized to replace the old aluminum in the laundry). After a lot of quotes and searching I found only Jeld-Wen and Milgard seemed to offer operable windows in this narrow size. Jeld-wen had it in their V2500 builders series at about the same price as Milgard.

I will roll the dice on the auto-lock, thinking the small size may help it be more reliable, plus their full labor warranty sounded good.

For our 9 sliders, we picked Ringer and installed one so far and am waiting on more to be built. Ringer had the best glass packages (LoE-340, LoE-366) and features for central Texas (reinforcements and double strength standard plus higher DP ratings) but this odd size was only possible for them in a picture window. We really debated whether to just convert this to a picture window, but decided to keep it operable.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you are the installer and owner, messing with the autolocks is not as big a deal. If you are telling me as a company owner, would I put them in, the answer is no.