Trying to choose a patio door.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
THM5022

Trying to choose a patio door.

#1 Post by THM5022 »

Hi, I'm in the market for a replacement patio door and and been researching here for a while. Any way It's my first post, so be gentle. I live in the midwest, but only plan on living in my current home for another five years, so I am targeting the mid to upper mid level range of patio doors.

Thus far these are the quotes that I have (all with low e2 glass):

1. Lindsay, all vinyl slider, mainly got this because the installer is well regarded-- $2160

2. Polaris Ultraweld- black stainless spacer and foam filled frame, etc---- $1950

Themaweld _no foam, standard spacer ----------------------------------$1550

3.Thermal L'egance. salesman told me it is also foam filled, but cutaway had no foam. $2370

4. Sunrise Slider (not essentials), Owner told me $1900 installed, not a formal quote and he has a terrible reputation and reviews. Hard to believe Sunrise has him as sole distributor in this area.

5 Simonton Inovo- awaiting estimate

Really not considering the Lindsay. Had to throw out the Sunrise installer: I don't need those headaches. There are no Okna or Softlite dealers in this area. The thermal and polaris installers both have good reputations, so equal there. Marvin's Integrity all Ultrex may also be a contender, but considering I'd have to purchase it on my own and hire a separate contractor to install, I have a feeling it might be more than I want to spend. At this point I'm choosing between the L'egance and the Ultraweld, whose performance numbers are fairly comparable. Hoping that someone would have thoughts on those two or maybe some other choice I may be missing. I also posted this on another forum. I apologize as I know there are those that are members of other boards too.

HomeSealed

Re: Trying to choose a patio door.

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Polaris would be my choice out of your final two... Don't lose any sleep over the Ultrex unit btw. It's solidly built, but I never fail to get complaints on air leakage when we've used them by request.

THM5022

#3 Post by THM5022 »

Good to know about the Ultrex not being "all that". I went into this really leaning toward the Polaris, but the L'egance is a pretty nice door, too. Thanks for your insight!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The Legance is a nice door and it operates well. I actually installed one last year.

THM5022

#5 Post by THM5022 »

Yeah, I'm really torn between the Legance and the Ultraweld. Is the Legance worth $400 more than the Ultraweld?

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

If you go with the Polaris I would upgrade the screen frame to there heavy duty frame, I’d consider pet screen in any pet door,2 point and 3 point locking systems are common upgrades as well. Many of the locks can also be rekeyd to Schlage Keys

THM5022

#7 Post by THM5022 »

I am leaning toward the Polaris and I appreciate your insight toddinmn. In my circumstance, I don't really even use the screen. When I do it's one of those hanging screens. I think even the pet screen my dogs would shred!

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I do not believe that the Thermal door is worth $400 more, no. Frankly, I'd personally prefer the Polaris even at a slight premium, although I will say that the Thermal door is not bad at all and would likely serve you well. I'd suggest digging a little more into each company offering these products. The installation quality and reputation of the dealer could very well swing this choice one way or the other.

THM5022

#9 Post by THM5022 »

Made the decision to go with the Ultraweld. With the products being fairly close, I did what is preached so often...I chose the best installer.

I started having doubts about the installer selling the Legance. The Legance installer's company insisted both husband and wife be home when the "salesman" came over for the estimate. Although I've done over $10K in business with the Legance installer before, the guy that came for the estimate made a lot of claims that turned out to be misleading, at best. The "salesman" just shot a price and wouldn't write a formal estimate detailing the work to be done. I called the company to request a copy of the warranty and the rep on the phone was quite rude and seemed flabbergasted that I could ask such a thing. She said she'd email it out and.... I'm still waiting.

The company I chose for the Ultraweld has been in business for decades and has stellar reviews. We dropped by the company's office unexpectedly and the owner was more than happy to explain the product and job in detail to my wife. Sending the signed full, detailed contract to the Ultraweld installer today. I came away from this experience surprised that quality companies like Sunrise and Thermal would have such shady installers as their sole distributors in this area. Thanks for all you help, everyone.

THM5022

#10 Post by THM5022 »

You nailed it, homesealed!!!

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Thought you already had a quote on the Legance.sounds like you make the right choice.

THM5022

#12 Post by THM5022 »

Well,he gave me a price...just wouldn't write it out. Just odd all the way around.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Good choice all-around. :D