Newly installed window leaking and installer will not take resp.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
namahs

Newly installed window leaking and installer will not take resp.

#1 Post by namahs »

We had vinyl replacement windows installed a few weeks ago. We did not notice any leak then but then again..we might have just not have noticed. Out of 13 windows installed, it looks like 2 of them in the back side of my brick house is leaking from the top.

The new windows were installed differently than my original..its more flushed or recess to the outside of the window brick opening. I am use to all the vinyl and wood jambs..but this window fitted perfectly and then screwed in. They foam and caulk from the outside.

I called my installer and he seems to be saying the issue is my brick and mortar wall (thorocoat paint). Saying the gaps in the thorocoat/mortar above is allowing water to go inside and then slowly coming down the window. The bigger question I have for him is..isnt there something that can be put on top of the window during the installation that would prevent any type of water leak from top coming inside, Flashing? I see cracks in brick and mortar all the time and havent heard of this. Please look at pictures of my windows from inside and outside.. It can't possibly be those hairline crack in the thorocoat? https://imgur.com/a/D80QNEY

He is now directing the issue that it is the wall and I need to redo the thorocoat or repoint the bricks in my house. This can't possibly be right? Isn't there some type of flashing that can be put on top of the window or top of brick opening that would prevent water from coming inside the house and direct it outside?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Newly installed window leaking and installer will not take re

#2 Post by masterext »

What kind of windows are they? They are new ???????? They look like 1980’s windows.
Hard to tell. Could be from the mortar.

namahs

Re: Newly installed window leaking and installer will not take resp.

#3 Post by namahs »

These are new Crystal windows from a local store. So if the mortar above has a crack, isn't flashing the window a normal process and will prevent leak from going inside?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Water leaking from the head jamb is not an indication (necessarily) of a window leak as much as it is an indication that water is entering the wall somewhere else. Now, can that water in the wall be from a window that is above...sure, but the window is not necessarily the culprit.

With the incredible rains we have been having, it is actually more likely that the failure in your wall assembly is the exterior cladding (i.e. brick). We have surveyed several homes where the issue was the wall and not the window in these type of situations.

You need to have someone at the home that knows what they are looking at, but as for right now, it does not necessarily sound like it is the fault of the window to be perfectly honest.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Good info above. I'd only add that many window installations, including yours as it would appear, are dependent in at least some degree on the existing wall cladding and water management system. There may or may not be something that could be done in terms of flashing, however it would not be standard procedure. To make a determination site-unseen as to who/what is at fault here is nearly impossible, but the installers response could be valid.

Stillman

#6 Post by Stillman »

We've had the same thing happen to us 4-5 years ago. Brand new windows. Luckily, the installer was nice enough to fix it at his own cost. It wasn't even a discussion so I'm not sure if that's standard practice.
Last edited by Stillman on Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

If water is coming through small opening in the mortar/ brick, that has nothing to do with the window installer.
Also, you mentioned you have Crystal windows. Because Crystal is a low end window, i would make sure the window itself isnt defective. Crystal would of been one of my last choices.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Stillman wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am We've had the same thing happen to us 4-5 years ago. Brand new windows. Luckily, the installer was nice enough to fix it at his own cost. It wasn't even a discussion so I'm not sure if that's standard practice.
Standard practice in most cases where the issue is likely due to an installation defect, yes... Sounds like there may be added factors in the OP's situation however.

Any update namahs?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Gotta know more from the OP to figure out who and what is responsible.