Sunrise??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
johnny

Sunrise??

#1 Post by johnny »

I live in SW Ohio and am currently in the market for 26 vinyl replacement windows, including 24 double-hungs and 2 casements. A reputable installer provided me with a quote 6 months ago for Vytex Fortis. I wasn't familiar with Vytex at the time, but have since read many positives about them.

Unfortunately, now that I am ready to purchase, the installer no longer carries Vytex, but now offers the Sunrise Vanguard as their mid-tier window. The installer has offered to sell me the Vanguards at the same price as the Fortis. Based on general comments about Sunrise, it would seem that most professionals would say that this is a very fair trade. That said, I never read anything negative about Vytex's Fortis or Potomac windows (other than maybe some warranty issues), but consistently see comments here and on other review sites criticizing Sunrise's flimsy frames resulting in sagging sashes, lift rails popping out, lack of interlock at meeting rails, challenging to install, etc. Further, the performance numbers for the Vanguard don't seem quite as good as those for the Fortis or other mid-line offerings from Okna, Polaris, etc.

Given the above-listed problems and just so-so performance numbers, why are distributors/installers so in love with Sunrise windows? Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

toddinmn

Re: Sunrise??

#2 Post by toddinmn »

What is there top tier window?

johnny

#3 Post by johnny »

Sunrise Restorations

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

See if they will throw the reinforcement in the sash as part of the deal and if so, that is a fair trade.

johnny

#5 Post by johnny »

But given the multiple above listed criticisms, the Sunrise Vanguard is a good quality window, correct?

Also, assuming that price and installer quality are similar, which do you prefer - Vanguard, Vytex Fortis, or Polaris Thermaweld Plus?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Vanguard is a good window indeed. I would put it right alongside the Fortis with regards to quality and design. It has very similar data and performance as well.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I’d put Sunrise dead last in that line up.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

The Sunrise Vanguard is a top tier window, no doubt about it. I think it would be a great choice for you as do most other pro’s. Its also a nice looking window.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

There is some doubt amongst us.

LoneStarGuy

#10 Post by LoneStarGuy »

Here is my experience with Sunrise. It might be more of a dealer issue, but I sought out a quote from my local Austin TX Sunrise dealer and I was not impressed. First. the price he was quoting was much higher. But I am open to paying more for quality, so I asked what product line and got this response:

"in the past Sunrise offered other lines/products, but now has consolidated their product lines and has one line which you can add different features."

I then asked " Do these have sash reinforcements?" and got this:

"are you referring to the security of the window? If so, I spoke with a representative from Sunrise regarding this, and he said they received a 10 out of 10 forced entry rating. He also said they could add fiberglass reinforcement in the frame if you choose."

I don't think this salesman had a clue. The quote was for single-hung and sliders - I thought sunrise didn't reinforce single hungs. I asked for LoE-340 and he quoted LoE-366. Where I wanted LoE 366 he quoted LoE-270. I didn't like how this Sunrise dealer or Sunrise itself charge extra for different levels of LoE plus didn't even include or try to include sash reinforcement which I've heard is needed in Texas. He quoted laminated glass over the bathtub where I wanted tempered. His quote offered no details on if double-strength glass would be used or what spacer.

Instead I went with a local company and am happy. With them reinforcements, double--strength glass, argon, low solar heat gain LoE are all standard. They have fewer options, just 3 colors and no hardware options but that likely keeps prices down. The local company offered LoE-366 standard and LoE-340 at the same price. I got to sit with the owner and customize every window in the house. I picked LoE-366/i89 in the family room where we have a sofa next to the window and a fireplace we use to heat most of the house. We put LoE-340 in the southwest facing office. We are adding laminated glass to a window in a small bathroom we use to hide from strong storms. Sunrise's price was more than double for the windows alone.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I haven'y used a Sunrise window in years.
That said, I was a SL dealer for years before the continued lack of QC destroyed the relationship.
I have been using Okna for about 7 years and generally love them. We had some QC issues the past two years. They looked at us like we had two heads. Other of my dealer friends were getting the same thing. It got so bad that I began looking for other HP vinyl windows. The, Okna, have worked out most of the issues, though for some reason they keep stressing the relationship through other bone head things.
My team and I like very very good product. We are also now Vytex and Majestic dealers.
VYtex Potomac is a very good window, Fortis is a good window. Vytex may be in a bad position of being controlled by one dealer, over 50% of Vytexs business.
I do not know the details but probably the dealer you are working with didn't jump ship because of the product, maybe it was a bad relationship with Vytex. They spit in my eye 4 weeks after opening my account.
I might ask the dealer to go back and get me the Potomac.
theWindowNerd.com

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

Have not heard of Majestic, it looks like a nice window with nice standard features.

johnny

Vytex

#13 Post by johnny »

WindowNerd, why do you say that the Fortis is just good, but that the Potomac is very good? Also, better value - Fortis at $500/window or Potomac at $550/window? By the way, we are replacing 27 windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Vytex

#14 Post by masterext »

johnny wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:43 pm WindowNerd, why do you say that the Fortis is just good, but that the Potomac is very good? Also, better value - Fortis at $500/window or Potomac at $550/window? By the way, we are replacing 27 windows.
Personally, ive sold both and like both of them. That said, i prefer the Potomac.

johnny

#15 Post by johnny »

Any particular reason why you prefer the Potomac?