North Texas Window Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gonepacking

North Texas Window Question

#1 Post by gonepacking »

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for a few days and have learned a lot. I have a couple quotes and was wondering if anyone had an opinion.

I need 13 windows replaced in the DFW area. All single hung, normal sizes.

I have 2 quotes.

Quote 1- Local company(Lanham) who has a house brand window that is made by NT. $7k range. They use foam in the gap between the bricks and house when they install.

Quote 2-NT Traditions, installed by a company with good ratings. $8k range. They do not use foam in their instillation.

From what I can see, the windows are nearly the same. I did reach out to NT to see if they could provide any info, but I have not heard back yet.

Any thoughts on which one to select? Does the foam during the install make a difference? Would it be worth it to have someone quote Sunrise Vanguard windows? I plan to stay in the home for 10+ years.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: North Texas Window Question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Randy.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Not using foam is oddity in this day and age.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

The Traditions is a private label window that is offered to select dealers in protected territories. While it has couple of extra bells and whistles, it’s no better than the Presidential or the Energy Master. I wouldn’t pay more for the Traditions.

Todd is right for most of the country, but unfortunately here in Texas foam is rarely used. It is a huge plus and should be considered to be a big plus in terms of the quality of the installation.

LoneStarGuy

#5 Post by LoneStarGuy »

Here is a video a local windows contractor posted that documents their install method. They seem to spray foam between the brick before inserting the window, then caulk around the window. Is this the best method?

randy

#6 Post by randy »

I agree with foaming behind the brick, however I disagree with other aspects.

1) They should have used shims to ensure the window is level and square. They never put a level on the window, which is puzzling.

2) He said they put six screws in the sliding window, two at the upper corners, two at the lower corners and two at the meeting rail. That seems to indicate that they put a screw in the sill. If they did, that is always a bad idea and should not be done - especially on a sliding window. Across the sill of a vinyl slider, shims are good and screws are bad.

3) We also foam the perimeter of the window after fastening.

flo

South Texas Window Question

#7 Post by flo »

I leave in a Coastal II area, the replacement windows I choose may have to pass windstorm requirements. I found two installers with good prices by word of mouth/neighborhood experience. Both carry no-name brands (Norandex or Vistamark) the later brand is on the TDI list and installer offered to bring an inspector also when done.
What has been the experience on this group with these brands? Not sure if there is a cheap Simonton for the same price point.

LoneStarGuy

#8 Post by LoneStarGuy »

Thanks Randy. I think the lesson here is that while a foam install may be best, if don't half-arsed - not foaming after fastenining, and fastening wrong could turn what sounds like the best install into a bad install. I think I'd take fiberglass to not have the sill drilled on a slider.

randy

#9 Post by randy »

Flo, because TDI has become so difficult to deal with, many window contractors have pulled out of serving the coastal area, including me. Unfortunately, that doesn’t leave homeowners with a lot of good options for window replacement.

Norandex has two manufacturers who private label for them - Simonton and Atrium. If your contractor is quoting the Atrium product is will be called the Extreme. If he’s quoting the Simonton product is will be call Perfexion. I would be comfortable going with Simonton, but I would not choose Atrium or Vistamark.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Seems they left out many steps in the actual setting of the window, This makes it hard to analyze . I would eliminate anyone that would not use foam in this type of install.
Fiberglass will eventually take on moisture and will not seal air .like Randy said , there should be shims behind the screws, and I like to shim the sills in multiple places, the bigger the window the more shins . I have no problem with screwing the sill down or the header up if needed. On bigger sliders the sills or the headers( if there are no stops holding it back) move around quite easily.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

According to the owner (Chuck Langham) in the comments section under the video, in response to concern about not using shims:

"I appreciate your comments and concerns for how the window was installed. How do we know the window is level and plumb? Since these are custom made windows there is no room for shims. The window fits snug against brick. You know you have it installed correctly when both locks (inferior windows have a single lock) lock easily and your reveal (thin margin of light at the sill you create by opening the window) is spaced evenly across - this tells you the window is set properly."

jaece312

#12 Post by jaece312 »

randy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:41 am The Traditions is a private label window that is offered to select dealers in protected territories. While it has couple of extra bells and whistles, it’s no better than the Presidential or the Energy Master. I wouldn’t pay more for the Traditions.
https://tgw.onl/hostgator/ https://tgw.onl/dreamhost/ https://tgw.onl/bluehost/
Todd is right for most of the country, but unfortunately here in Texas foam is rarely used. It is a huge plus and should be considered to be a big plus in terms of the quality of the installation.
Not using foam is oddity in this day and age.

jaece312

#13 Post by jaece312 »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:15 am Seems they left out many steps in the actual setting of the window, This makes it hard to analyze . I would eliminate anyone that would not use foam in this type of install.
Fiberglass will eventually take on moisture and will not seal air .like Randy said , there should be shims behind the screws, and I like to shim the sills in multiple places, the bigger the window the more shins . I have no problem with screwing the sill down or the header up if needed. On bigger sliders the sills or the headers( if there are no stops holding it back) move around quite easily.
https://tgw.onl/hostgator/ https://tgw.onl/dreamhost/ https://tgw.onl/bluehost/

"I appreciate your comments and concerns for how the window was installed. How do we know the window is level and plumb? Since these are custom made windows there is no room for shims. The window fits snug against brick. You know you have it installed correctly when both locks (inferior windows have a single lock) lock easily and your reveal (thin margin of light at the sill you create by opening the window) is spaced evenly across - this tells you the window is set properly."