Fortis of Potomac?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
johnny

Fortis of Potomac?

#1 Post by johnny »

Better value - Vytex Fortis for $500/window or Vytex Potomac for $560/window?

johnny

Re: Fortis of Potomac?

#2 Post by johnny »

By the way, I have 27 windows to replace (primarily double-hungs), so the difference in price will be $1,620.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

In my book, Fortis.

I start to get worried when I see numbers like that with regards to the sustainability of that business model though.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The Potomac is their top tier window. Its a bit more robust than the fortis with a DP 65 rating and magnetic seal.

johnny

#5 Post by johnny »

WOW, what do you mean when you say that "I start to get worried when I see numbers like that with regards to the sustainability of that business model though"?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

The company you are dealing with the dropped vytex and moved to the sunrise vanguard.. i think i know which company that is. The owner seems very knowledgeable and he seems to run a very good business. The vanguard is an excellent window and very nice looking. You seem to be in very good hands.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

My point is, at $500 per window, I don't know how a company is making money and/or planning on being able to service the install/customer after the fact.

Don't get me wrong, I don't comment on things like price because of the varying costs of doing business in different parts of the country, but that doesn't work in our market for example. Not if you have any sort of overhead of process/people behind the scenes is all.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:20 am My point is, at $500 per window, I don't know how a company is making money and/or planning on being able to service the install/customer after the fact.

Don't get me wrong, I don't comment on things like price because of the varying costs of doing business in different parts of the country, but that doesn't work in our market for example. Not if you have any sort of overhead of process/people behind the scenes is all.
Agreed. For a newer/smaller company it could be possible (low overhead), but you are taking on more risk with the savings in an industry where 70%+ fail within 5 years. That number would be unsustainable for a company with a location, staff, marketing budget, service department, etc... Not saying that you couldn't find it, but it would be pretty desperate and scary as a company imo... Frankly, its cutting very, very close even for a newer company with consumables added (coil, caulk, foam, nails) and even some minimal overhead like insurance, etc.... If you dig back some years you can probably find a number like that being discussed as more reasonable (my customers sure find them, lol), but costs on materials and especially labor have risen significantly since.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Either would work well.
If it was for my house I would choose the Potomac-hp.

theWindowNerd

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Does the price include capping the exterior trim?