Heat Mirror vs. triple pane

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
okypinoky

Heat Mirror vs. triple pane

#1 Post by okypinoky »

Good morning:

I have the following size windows:

Nine - 41 x 54 (95 UI)
Two - 25 x 38 (63 UI)
Two - 33 x 54 (87 UI)
One - 37 x 38 (75 UI)

This weekend, I had a salesman come to my home (appointment began at 1:00 - he left around 8:00 pm!!) trying to peddle his Heat Mirror windows by American Window Authority (never heard of them). After all of his fancy demo work, he measured and gave a price of $12,900.00 for all 14 windows. I about had a heart attach right there!!!!

Can ANYONE give me guidance as to 1) his cost breakdown; 2) flaws i his demo (are these really the best made windows?) and 3) other options??

I have an appointment to look at some triple pane windows that boast a R Factor of 10. The more I sop around, the less I believe the sales people.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated!!

chrisexv6

#2 Post by chrisexv6 »

I went thru the Heat Mirror demo. While I liked the windows, the lack of experience with the product scared me off. The price was laughable, but what concerned me the most was that I hadnt heard of many residential products using Heat Mirror. Plus, its just a thin plastic layer. There is a thread either here or on the sister forum (www.replacement-windows.com) about Heat Mirror, and there were a few people complaining that the film yellows and/or melts after a while. (BTW, *everyone* has the best window on the market ;) ).

If you *need* triple pane, I dont think there is a substitute for an actual 3rd pane of glass. I ended up going with Schuco triple panes for my house, and I paid even more than your Heat Mirror quote. Probably because I have no double hungs, so all of my windows are more expensive than normal (and I have 18 windows total). I assume your quote was for double hungs?

Maybe you dont even need the 3rd pane? I think the consensus is that if you live in a moderate climate (lower half of the country or so) the triple pane isnt necessarily worth it, anything above the lower half you might want to think about it. I live in CT where the winters can get pretty cold, so I went with the triple pane (plus the expense difference wasnt that large considering the overall cost of the windows).

Good luck!
-Chris

okypinoky

#3 Post by okypinoky »

Thanks Chrisexv6 for the info.

I live in Norther Virginia and feel the triple pane will give me a good R-factor. However, I have tried to be careful not to go overboard in my expectations of how a window should perform. I agree "everyone" has the best windows made, not everyone has the most affordable. I do think, however, $13K for 14 double hung windows is beyond excessive, even IF the heat mirror is the best thing since sliced bread.

windowman pa

What Company was at you home?

#4 Post by windowman pa »

Would you be so kind as to tell us what the companys name was?

chrisexv6

#5 Post by chrisexv6 »

okypinoky wrote:Thanks Chrisexv6 for the info.

I live in Norther Virginia and feel the triple pane will give me a good R-factor. However, I have tried to be careful not to go overboard in my expectations of how a window should perform. I agree "everyone" has the best windows made, not everyone has the most affordable. I do think, however, $13K for 14 double hung windows is beyond excessive, even IF the heat mirror is the best thing since sliced bread.
You're welcome!

BTW, my parents live in Williamsburg, and Ive visited Williamsburg on a lot of occasions. I think in this case triple pane would be better for you during the *summer*! It gets so hot and humid down there! But it sure beats CT.

-Chris

okypinoky

Re: What Company was at you home?

#6 Post by okypinoky »

windowman pa wrote:Would you be so kind as to tell us what the companys name was?
The company (salesman) that came out is contracted through BJs Wholesale Club. The company was AAPCO, based out of Richmond, VA.

Again, they were selling the Heat Mirror windows from American Window Authority.