Criteria for a good installer

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WindowCustomer

Criteria for a good installer

#1 Post by WindowCustomer »

Gentlemen,

I've already selected my windows (Schuco) and chosen a distributor, and am just waiting for my windows to be manufactured. However, as I review the posts on this board, I see a lot of comments on how I will be unhappy with my windows, even though they are quality windows, if the installer does a bad job.

That being the case, could someone please provide me with a list of qualifications for an installer (which I could then request of the distributor, to make sure they send me a skilled person)?

Also, can someone tell me what is the latest model of Schuco windows (e.g. is it the Corona 4000)? I want to make sure I am getting the latest and greatest.

Thanks in advance.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Unfortunately, you cannot tell just by looking at him whether an installer is good or not.
There are a certifications for installers. If he is AAMA "Installation Masters" certified, that will say he completed a certification training class on how to properly install windows, but that really says nothing to his personal skills. He could still be a butcher on wrapping and caulking.

What I suggest you can do you is actually go look at the company's work on a few jobs, ask the homeowner what the installer's name was that did the work on their home, then have that installer's name written on the contract as to who will be your installer. That is the best way to ensure good workmenship on your job.

To the other question, ...the Corona 4000 is the top of the line window.

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

Good post W4U

Very valid points. I have hired, fired, consulted, trained and educated installers, contractors, sales-people, manufacturers, code officials etc. and have learned that the end result is the only true qualifier for success. Look for a company with passion for the industry beyond a paycheck.

Pride will always surpass pay when it comes to quality.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

I agree with my fellow posters of the installation brotherhood above. I've spent a lot of time with installers of all kinds. I've worked with some for years and others for days. Some have it and others don't. It's not only an art it's a gift. I would compare it to being a singer (back off with the smart comments boys). There are people that can sing and some that couldn't sing no matter how much they spent on singing lessons. Installers are the same way. They can aquire every certification or schooling offered in the industry, and still be a "hack"(the word "Hack" is the lowest form of scumbag installer known to man kind). You have to have a passion for your work that comes deep from your heart. It's that old saying "I do my job the same on your home as I would do on mine". That's one great question to ask your installer when they are done. Usually you will see it in their eyes when you ask. I've always told everyone that I can take an Artist and make them a good installer. They may be slow at first. But they have that eye that makes things look great when they are done.

I guess the things I would look for in an installer is the way they act with you the customer. They should make you comfortable when they are in your home. They should care for your home and the things inside with great respect. They need to earn your trust that they are there to do the best they can at all times. Make sure they are clean and helpful in keeping your home safe. Make sure they use drop cloths on the new white carpet and not leaving boards with nails sticking up in the hallway. If you can't get the window treatments down are they helpful in getting them down and back up for you. If they start bitching about that then they need an attitude adjustment. These are just some things to look for.

Another thing to keep in mind is they're age! If your installers show up looking like they're fresh out of High School or College. Don't treat them like idiots or children. They can really be good installers. I have this problem daily with my boys. I have a three man crew of 22 year olds that will out perform most veteran installers anywhere! I've had two of them since they got out of high school and the other is my Son. I was fortunate enough to have them before they were able to develop any bad habits on the job. Don't cast judgement until the job is completed. Most of those finishing touches come at the end of the job. Just be patient and observant during the installation process. Try and make sure the installers have good access to each window from the inside and out. It's very difficult to work in homes that are not installation ready. Remove all the window treatments and shades from each window being done. Make sure your wall hangings and little trinkets are down or moved to a safe place. Make sure the couch's, chairs, beds and cabinets are moved to the side for access of the opening. If things are to heavy to move then ask the installer to help when they arrive. Most of us would be more than happy to help you move it away and back when we're done. I guess my best offering to you is be patient. You'll love your new windows!!

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

I thought the Butcher was the lowest installer life form.

Bill

randy

my installing experience

#6 Post by randy »

After working as an installer for one day, I have a new appreciation for the guys that install every day. It's not the heat or the physical work that got me, it's the patience required to get the window square and level. It seemed as though every single opening was 1-2" out of square and therefore getting the new windows set properly was excruciatingly slow. How many times can a person check for square, level and plumb? Sash reveals, diagonal measurements, level checking, etc...., for a guy with very little patience, it was maddening! I'm thinking "close enough" and the crew foreman George is saying "not even close". Guess that's why I never built models as a kid.

You guys are absolutely right about the good installers having a love for the business. I love the business as well, but I think I'll stick to the sales and management end and leave the installation to my previously under appreciated crews.

Tru_blue

A day out installing

#7 Post by Tru_blue »

Randy I love your post! Had I been drinking coffee I might have sprayed my monitor and keyboard laughing out loud. I'm glad you had a positive and educational experience!