Quote for 3 large windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
af145

Quote for 3 large windows

#1 Post by af145 »

I'm in New York City. I need to replace 3 white vinyl windows, as follows:
- 3-lite tilt-in slider, 8x4 feet, grids;
- 3-lite tilt-in slider, 8x5 feet, grids;
- 4-panel bow, 8x4 feet, two panels to open, no grids.

There is currently no bow where I want to put it, so the quote should include windowsill, support brackets or cables, and a 9-inch white band above the window, closing the gap between the window and the roof/ceiling.

I shopped around, and most quotes are around $5K. Schuco was $1900 for the small slider and $5K for the bow. It's a very nice slider though... Anyway, I'm inclined to go with Deluxe International Group (www.deluxegroup.com) Platinum Series.

Questions:
1. Is 5K to 5.5K reasonable for this kind of job?
2. Did anyone hear about Deluxe?
3. What are the usual salesmen's tricks regarding warranty? E.g., one of them told me that condensation is covered for 2 years only, and that's the policy everywhere, and if anyone is saying otherwise, he is lying. Any thoughts?

One more question. How does argon gas filling affect flowers and plants sitting on the windowsill? One salesman told us that plants die -- that true?

Thanks!

mman

#2 Post by mman »

I can't respond to your price questions (live in the NW), but I can respond to some of the "sales" tactics. The answer to the argon statement in FALSE. Argon has no real affect on the light that comes through your windows for your plants....however LOWE glass will. Low E glass (available in most windows) blocks a large amount of UV light, which plants feed on. So, if your plants can not be moved, and are not low light plants, think about forgoeing the LOW E glass on those windows only.

mman

#3 Post by mman »

Well, I suppose I should read ahead on posts before replying (rookie mistake). Please refer to Oberon on this thread. Appears the data I had was a bit misleading.......must....do...more ....research. WINDOW GEEKS UNITE!