Window Woes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windoweary

Window Woes

#1 Post by Windoweary »

Hi there,

I am new here but have been reading the site for a while as we had windows on order; and I wanted to be sure I was ahead of the game.

Well - we ordered some really nice windows - fiberglass triple pane, low E, argon from a top notch (Award winning, 30 years in business) local company.

All went well until three windows were in and we saw how they were installing them - no flashing, or drip strip/capping. Having already compromised the building envelope by cutting through the stucco, and the wire/paper in behind it; they just screwed the nail flange of the new window directly to the freshly exposed wood, with a bead of silicone sealant behind it. They were then putting brick mold on and and caulking the gap between the stucco and the brick mould (not very neatly, I might add).

Anyway, seeing this as a red flag we stopped the work, and contacted the owner of the company.

We have major leaks which resulted in mould growth inside at least two walls (possibly more yet), which he knew from the outset, as this was the whole reason for replacing windows in the first place. The method they were using would almost certainly guarantee a repeat of the problem in a few short years.

Anyway, owner comes to see us and he said he was willing to work with us on this and left saying "If there's a better way to do it, then tell me" :shock: I thought it rather odd that a so-called 'quality' contractor would be asking a homeowner how to do his job!

So, after a lot of research into methods, flashing, and building envelopes, we met again and told him how it should be done. He said he wouldn't recommend it, but if we insisted, he would do it without warranty on the work, and at extra cost (we were never given a quote for this extra work, though). The contract price was $72,000 CND for 57 windows (installed). Eight of them inserts, 12 glass only, and the rest (37) full windows.

So our other two options were:

1) To take the windows supply only at a cost of $36,000 (for an incomplete order of 37 full windows and eight inserts)

2) Allow them to do the 'bad install' with the work warrantied :? at full contract price.

So, as it is, we're left with an incomplete order of 45 windows/inserts for a supply only price of $36,000.

What I'm wondering is; if anyone can tell us if the supply only seems like a reasonable deal for the type of window? I understand there would be a mark-up in price as that's the nature of business. We just don't want to pay more than necessary (who does)!

The windows vary in size but are not overly large, there's just a lot of them. We have small fixed pane transoms above other larger windows (about 10 all about 16 inches high varying widths between 2 and 5 feet (most are about 3-4 feet wide). The largest they get are picture of about 5'x4'. I know this is difficult to 'guess' at but I thought maybe looking at the difference in contract price versus supply price may give a clue?

Sorry it turned out so long......
Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer :)