Should I Complain about This? (Quality Control)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
InfoSponge

Should I Complain about This? (Quality Control)

#1 Post by InfoSponge »

One of my Simonton 9800 sliders arrived with a bent exterior vinyl strip that holds in the IGU:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96629283@N00/144678023/

I tried snapping it back into place, but the corner will not seal properly because the strip is a bit too large:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96629283@N00/144678024/

For reference, the other corners meet and seal nicely:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96629283@N00/144678025/

Should I should ask Simonton to relpace this sash, or am I being too picky?

Note: One sash from a large slider arrived with broken glass, so they already have to send one new unit over next week:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96629283@N00/144678026/

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

The piece is cut a fraction too long; if the contractor is not willing to cut it down then have Simonton replace the sash.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

InfoSponge

#3 Post by InfoSponge »

I don't mind snipping off a little myself, I'm just worried I would void the warranty, with the "modification" clause and all (though I doubt they would notice). If I do snip a tad off, I need to fill in the corner with whatever they use to seal up the corners. It is similar to a silicone, but feels a little softer to me. Would regular silicone be a reasonable substitute? The distributor is coming to take care of the broken glass in the morning, so I might just do whatever he recommends on the bad glazing bead problem. Thanks for your comments.
Last edited by InfoSponge on Thu May 11, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PK

#4 Post by PK »

InfoSponge, could you post us some pics of what you did with the gap around those windows?

InfoSponge

#5 Post by InfoSponge »

I'll be happy to post pictures of the process, but I haven't installed them yet (it may be a few days yet). The current plan is to use the Simonton factory-supplied foam wrap to fill in the frame gap, use a bit of DOW soft/window foam in any remaining spaces, place a compressed backer rod over that and then caulk with OSI Quad white caulk. The gap between the brick veneer and the home will probably be filled in with a little foam as well. There is another thread where some helpful pros assisted with the details. Of course, this all depends on my window friend/mentor agreeing with these ideas (I'm not a window pro - just playing with my own home)! :)

Scott1q1

Glazing beads

#6 Post by Scott1q1 »

One thing I've learned with simonton windows is that the glazing bead is VERY tight. On occasion I would swear it was too long if I hadn't just removed it 5 minutes ago to change a piece of glass!

Your safest bet is gunna be to let the distributor deal with it, wether he decides to replace the sash or pop the bead back in place. I have yet to break any glass but am afraid of doing so each time I reinstall the bead after changing a piece. Also beware cutting the bead down shorter, again they fit very tight and even a small amount cut off can leave a noticable gap.

All that being said your windows may be different than the ones I have changed, simonton has alot of different lines and I have mostly swapped out glass in dh and picture windows.

InfoSponge

#7 Post by InfoSponge »

Update: Simonton replaced the sash with the cracked glass, and the distributor snapped the glazing bead back into place and put a little silicone into the glazing bead corner to seal it back up. Both happened without a question or much of a delay, so I'm happy.

I also have one squeaky balance that silicone spray could not fix (only squeaky on the way down), so they are supposed to ship a replacement. Hopefully after this, I'll have several years of trouble-free karma built up.

For some reason, Simonton sent two copies of the broken sash, so I have an extra to store in the attic in case the house ever needs it. :)

windowrep

#8 Post by windowrep »

yeah that is industry standard. it the manufacturer is not sure if the ig was sealed properly they will just go ahead and ship two, just in case. not really just kidding ya info.