Need Experts Advise on Just Installed Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TiTi

Need Experts Advise on Just Installed Windows

#1 Post by TiTi »

Please help me understand what a proper fitting sash should look like? How much of a gap should there be between the sash and frame? Are there any experts in the Middlesex County area who can help me?

In March I had purchased 16 double hung 2 slider and 4 hopper replacement windows from Champion of Philadelphia.

The Sashes on the double hung and hopper don't look square they are pinched at the top an measure 1/16 then widen at the bottom to 3/16. Also some sashes have a larger gap (where the felt in not even flush to the frame)on one side and a tighter fit on the other side.

Three Champion rep's came out to inspect an stated the sashes are fine and does not reduce the quality or performance.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Your frames are out of square, possibly also not shimmed right, ....definitely not installed correctly. All your reveals where the weatherstripping is on the sides should be a constant width. If they are not, it is a sign of being jacked out of square, not shimmed properly, or both. One other cause that is more rare is the sashes being made slightly out of square.
If you lift the bottom sashes and pull down the top sashes until you see a sliver of light, those slivers of light should also be the same from side to side.

Their response is basically saying to you that because they have double weatherstripping they won't leak much even though the windows are not put in right, so relax and accept their substandard work.

Tru_blue

gaps

#3 Post by Tru_blue »

Those Champion reps may have stated "the sashes are fine," but what it sounds like they didn't say is the installation is NOT fine. A gap varying from 1/16" to 3/16" is unacceptable. Whatever the gap between the sashes and frame is, it should be consistent all the way through.