windows and siding

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jrm

windows and siding

#1 Post by jrm »

Howdy all,

I figured I throw a curve ball and ask a question that does NOT involve Schuco, fibrex, rba salespeople, spacers and inert gases. Like many homeowners, I am looking for both replacement windows and new siding. I haven't found a board like this that discusses siding. Does anybody know of a similar board? I imagine that many of the installation pros also do siding, so in the absence of a siding board, I'll ask my question here.

I may end up using the same contractor for windows and siding, as the combined price may be more favorable than doing the jobs separate. I'm sure that just like windows, proper siding installation is more important than the brand and design of siding itself. For the sake of discussion, my decision is now between two outfits, both of whom have good reputations for quality workmanship and low complaints with BBB. Also for the sake of discussion, windows and pricing are comprable. One company only installs Alside siding products and the other does Royal Building products siding. Specifically, I'm looking for a shake appearance as opposed to dutch lap or clapboard. Do any of the pro's have opinions regarding alside's Pellican Bay line vs Royal's designer shakes (rough sawn)? Is one superior to the other? What other brands should I consider?

Thanks in advance for any advice. if anybody knows of a more appropriate board, please let me know, thereafter I shall never post siding questions here again! :)

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

thanks for changing the subject, don't feel bad about that, it is a nice change from the same old same old. i personally prefer royal products. i have no fancy stats or thickness numbers but i have used both products in the past and i liked the look of the royal. i used journeyman siding when i used to side and if i remember right, that is also made by royal. real nice panel,easy to hang, easy to lock in and it had real fine grain to it. not a big swirl look. just my opinion. good luck

researcher

#3 Post by researcher »

jrm

You may want to try try this link.

http://www.homeressources.com/forum/list.php?f=5

Tru_blue

Homeressources.com

#4 Post by Tru_blue »

I see the Andersen people are well-represented at homeressources.com. The following RBA statement isn't even questioned there: " Very simply the best rated, best service and best guarantee anywhere. Way better than wood or vinyl. "

Many forum catagories, one of which is Windows and doors. Not a very active board. Interface is a bit clumsy (it makes me appreciate this board so much more). You can email each member. A lot of bashing of other products; the quality of information isn't quite as good as what you would read here but it's worth a peek. No Schuco posts at all that I could see (lol), and a lot of posts that basically state go with Renewal because everything else is junk. Painful. There's helpful info there, but you have to sift through the good and the bad and the BS. Haven't decided if I want to invest the time . . .

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I was wondering which one researcher is. Must be Goodshep....? Is that you researcher? If it is, $15 million out in Colorado is a lot of windows...great job.

Tru_blue

#6 Post by Tru_blue »

Window4U (IL) wrote:I was wondering which one researcher is. Must be Goodshep....? Is that you researcher? If it is, $15 million out in Colorado is a lot of windows...great job.
I don't think so. Goodshep is way more obnoxious and negative than anyone else who posts messages. Similar to our old friend amore125 and more recently Gerry. Goodshep's bizarre statements would get picked apart pretty good if he posted them here.

researcher

#7 Post by researcher »

Your right Tru_blue, I have never posted there.

jrm

#8 Post by jrm »

I'm so glad that I prefaced my question by saying it was not about RBA salepeople, and look at the direction all the reply posts took! After watching this and the sister site, somehow I'm not suprised. Thanks for the link researcher, but unfortunatley it doesn't contain anything of value for me. (although I did find goodshep's comments amusing). looks like I'll have to research the old-fashioned way - actually talking to real live people and (gasp) salespeople. I like to have a little knowledge before they come so I can ask intelligent questions and know when they are full of BS. Thanks to many of the folks here, I probaly know more about windows than some of the reps who came by to see me. I just wish I had the same condifence and knowledge base going into an even bigger investment on my home.

windowrep

#9 Post by windowrep »

jrm, what are you talking about? i said i have used both products in the past and which one i personnally preferred. what more are you looking for? sometimes it just doesn't make any sense to take the time to respond. i guess we'll get back to the this window vs. this window and how much is a good price in eastern wyoming. nothing against the people in eastern wyoming.

mman

#10 Post by mman »

If you want a nice shake look, consider the Certainteed products. It comes in three dif. profiles and is very thick, durable and nice looking. May be on the spendy side, since the installation takes a bit longer, but looks great when properly done. I forgot the name of the line, but if you ask for shake style Certainteed, the dealer should know what you want exactly. Hope that helps.

jrm

#11 Post by jrm »

windowrep - I did not mean to slight you by not thanking you in my previous post. I DO appreciate that you shared with me your opinion about the products I mentioned. But as you can see from reading the other replies, the direction of the thread changed somewhat. and thats OK. In a way I'm honored that many of the experts, yourself included, even replied to my question. From a dollar standpoint, my siding job will likley be more than twice as much as my window job. I've got around 25 squares worth of siding, not including all the sofits and trim. I also have cedar shakes that must be removed and carted away, not sided over. So again I thank you for your honest opinion. Oh -and thanks to mman too. and of course W4U, tru-blue and researcher.

FenEx

#12 Post by FenEx »

My concern would be this. If you are looking at making your house more attractive and shed bulk water by new siding.. Alside or Royal can provide good products. These are the ONLY functions of ANY siding. If you are seeking energy efficiency... niether will help unless you have a contractor qualified to address the frame wall itself properly. Even insulated products like Craneboard won't save squat at twice the price unless you address the sources.

jrm

#13 Post by jrm »

Fen-Ex - I admit that cosmetics and "curb appeal" are factors in my decision to re-side. my shakes are not weathered evenly, and are warped on the south facing side. The nails are pulling away from countless cycles of expansion and contraction. Some reps have told me about 3/4" foam insulation board (stated at r-4). A house down the street from my is wrapped in tyvek. I don't know much about tyvek. is it for weatherproofring, insulation or both? Forgive my ignorance - is one better than the other? Also do I need to be concerned about making a house "too watertight" such that moist air will get trapped and not "breath", contributing to mold or rot? Fortunatley, I don't live in a tornado area. and hurricanes are possible but not common, and usually have weakened by the time they get to NY. some are advertised as being able to withstand 160 mph winds. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there a significant difference between a .038, .044 or .048 thickness?

thanks for your input!

FenEx

#14 Post by FenEx »

jrm

There are considerable differences between an insulating foam board and Tyvec. An efficient buidling envelope needs to include a consistant thermal boundary (insulation) AND an a pressure boundary (airseal). Tyvec (when properly installed and taped) will provide a good air barrier while allowing moisture entering the stud cavities from the inside of your home to escape, but Tyvec does not provide additional R-value. In NY and other Northern climates, the vapor retarder should be on the inside of the wall. If you have a good vapor retarder on the interior surface, you can use the 3/4" foam board and simply tape the seams, eliminating Tyvec as the foam will also provide an airseal if properly installed without gaps and taped at all seams. If you are unsure about moisture transmission through the cavity, you may wish to install the foam (untaped) and taped Tyvec over the top as the Tyvec won't trap moisture like the foam.

Keep in mind that air is the primary carrier of moisture. If you airseal correctly you can reduce the moisture passing through the walls in the first place.

The thicknesses you mentioned are for clapboard panels. The .038 is a builders grade panel. I usually recommend .042 or better. Since you are looking at the cedar shake products, they will be much thicker .080-.125. If properly installed these should all be rated for 180 mph winds or better... not a concern.

Good Luck.

jrm

#15 Post by jrm »

Fenex - thanks for the input.