Simonton 9800 Slider Construction

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
InfoSponge

Simonton 9800 Slider Construction

#1 Post by InfoSponge »

On the Simonton 9800 horizontal slider, is there supposed to be some kind of stop mounted in the track to prevent a panel from sliding too far so that the lock can not hit the sash frame on the other side? If not, this seems like an accident waiting to happen. There is a stop on each side mounted at the top to prevent the sash from lifting out of a closed window, but that is all I see.

The only "extra parts" included with each slider was a sill extender (just a vinyl strip with a lip), some screws, and a u-shaped channel that is capping the window. Is that the header expander? The installation instructions only mention a sill extender, so when is the header expander generally used (just when there is extra space up there?), and is it recommended? The plugs that should go into the pre-drilled screw holes don't seem to be included either, though those holes are hidden by a snap-in strip that covers the height of the frame on each side.

PK

#2 Post by PK »

The head expander is for when either the rough opening is out of square, or the person taking the measurements screwed up.

InfoSponge

#3 Post by InfoSponge »

The windows are in, and I didn't have to use the header expanders for either of those two reasons, luckilly. Does anyone know anything about a stop for the Simonton 9800 horizontal slider or if the screw hole plugs are normally included?

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

The distributor left me a few stops they use for sliding doors. They fit fairly well into the horizontal sliding window track, so I'm happy enough in that respect.