Caulk

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WindowCustomer

Caulk

#1 Post by WindowCustomer »

Gentlemen,

In a previous post I seem to recall that "Novaflex" caulk was recommended. However, when I called the guys who will install my Schuco windows, they say they use "OSI Quad Sealant". They wll be happy to switch to Novaflex, but feel that OSI Quad Sealant is superior.
Your suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

They are both really good and either is acceptable. I switch back and forth between the two myself depending on the application and color.
If they like the quad, I'd say let them as it is easier to caulk with....thus possibly a better looking bead. Unless you are a real good caulker, the novaflex is a little harder to tool.

XSleeper

#3 Post by XSleeper »

IMO, Quad is better for exterior caulking such as vinyl to aluminum trim coil. Novaflex is probably 200% more flexible, and so is better for vinyl-vinyl or vinyl-wood caulking, such as if you are caulking a vinyl window to a blind stop, or glazing glass to a vinyl extrusion, as is done in some window factories. However I would not recommend Novaflex for exterior finish caulking. It seems to collect dirt and dust a little more than Quad would. But I suppose some people have no qualms about using it. I only use Quad for exterior surface caulking.