Remove Storm Windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jdegeorge

Remove Storm Windows?

#1 Post by jdegeorge »

I'm doing some research for my window replacement project. I haven't contacted anyone yet, but I'm wondering if it's better to keep my storm windows on or have them taken off? Would I get double insulation or would the storm window system make the replacement windows less efficient?

Thanks in advance.

Tru_blue

Storm Windows

#2 Post by Tru_blue »

The answer is yes and no.

For vinyl replacement windows, I'd strongly recommend to have the storm windows taken off. Vinyl replacements are designed to have their own built-in screen. If a storm window remains in place, the heat buildup between the storm and the replacement unit could potentially be enough to cause vinyl profile heat distortion - in other words - it could get so hot that the vinyl could soften or distort. Vinyl replacement windows are designed to perform just fine without ever needing a storm.

Aluminum replacements or aluminum clad wood windows, on the other hand, perform just fine with storm windows in place, and in fact would improve performance - but not by much. Some wood/clad replacements are made with an integral screen just like vinyl windows - the intention is to discard the existing storms since they're not needed anymore. Other wood/clad replacements (I'm not too keen on these) are intended to replace the prime interior windows but do not have a screen of their own - the intention there is to reuse your old existing storm/screen combinations.

One of the benefits of energy-efficient double or triple glazed replacement windows is that you no longer have to hassle with the cleaning and operating of an exterior storm/screen combination. You can choose to have one but it somewhat negates the ease of cleaning.

If you choose to keep your storm windows or get new storm/screen combinations on top of replacement windows, here are some stats for you:
At 0° outside and 70° inside, a single glazed window is about 14°-17° glass temperature. Add a storm to that and it raises the glass temperature to 45°. So it is definately worth it to have storm windows on a single glazed window. However a Low E/argon gas window is 57° WITHOUT a storm window. Add a storm window and the glass raises from 57° to only 60°. So with a storm you only gain 3° on an energy-efficient double glazed window; even less on a triple glazed unit. Is it worth it for the 3° and the extra work to wash them? Some would say yes but most would say no. I guess an advantage of having an exterior storm window would be extra glass protection of the prime glass, similar to having a clear or UV lens filter on a nice camera - maybe that snowball or baseball might only go through the 1st layer.

Again, this whole issue is a moot point on vinyl - it should not be done. It's mainly only an issue with wood or wood/clad windows.

jdegeorge

#3 Post by jdegeorge »

I'd be looking at vinyl windows, so out go the storms! Thanks for the quick reply.

The U Factor

#4 Post by The U Factor »

I thought you were going with RBA? Did you change your mind?

jdegeorge

#5 Post by jdegeorge »

Did go with RBA. Had them installed 3 weeks ago. Couldn't be happier.

This project is for my in-laws. They can't afford RBA or Schuco and will probably be going with a lesser window yet to be determined, but we were wondering what happens to the storms.
Last edited by jdegeorge on Fri May 26, 2006 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The U Factor

#6 Post by The U Factor »

You should help them out and spring for better windows.

jdegeorge

#7 Post by jdegeorge »

They don't need help. I meant "afford" from a ROI standpoint. It's a rental property of theirs and we don't believe that it makes much sense to spend a small fortune on the windows. The criteria for selecting replacement windows for this situation is different than if they were purchasing for their own home.

I thought the purpose of this site was for professional window installers such as yourself to give advice about windows and not financial matters?