Schucos and Siding

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MSmith4265

Schucos and Siding

#1 Post by MSmith4265 »

Hi Guys,

I recently had Schucos installed and love the window. Now its time to focus on siding the house.

As you can see from the pictures below, I have cedar shakes on the house. When the Schucos were installed, I had the option of re-wrapping the windows or leaving them as is. The contractor said the wrap was in good shape and he would advise saving me $$$ and leaving it alone.

Now that its time to focus on siding, I'm concerned. The options are to either leave the cedar shakes on the house or strip them. There is a few thousand in price difference (which to me is significant).

My concern is this -- if the vinyl is installed over the cedar shakes, I have a feeling the windows/wrap are going to look almost flush/indented with the siding. I've spoken with a few vinyl siding installers. One suggested a 3/4" backing board. He would then stop the backing board about 6" to the window, so that the siding would be as tight as it could be against the shakes, so that the wrap around the window would stick out a bit.

Another contractor said to use something called a Weathermate covering, I believe its made by Dow. I'm not sure of the thickness of the weathermate covering.

The shakes themselves are in good to fair condition. The front of the house has a fair amount of shakes that would need to be replaced (a lot have split in the 40 years they have been on the house).

I guess my question is this -- what would you do? Some contractors are saying go right over it, others are saying you could go either way. I plan on staying in the house 7-8 years. It's not my end all be-all house, but I'm certainly not moving any time soon either.

I've taken some pictures of the wrapping to give you an idea of my concern about the siding against the wrap, and how it would almost be flush with the wrap. Let me know what you think.

kifisia

keep your shakes

#2 Post by kifisia »

have you thought about keeping your gorgeous looking cedar shakes and painting them with vinyl siding, a paint process that unlike regular paint jobs is guaranteed to last??

kifisia

correction

#3 Post by kifisia »

correction: i was referring to liquid siding on the previous posting.

PK

#4 Post by PK »

Yea that stuffs great :( I had an estimate one time just for kicks, the salesman told me it was only fully gauranteed if applied to new siding. In addition the price he quoted me was more than i would charge for vinyl siding. If you search the web you will see all kinds of horror stories. Sales rep comes out and promisses the world, and then joe blow in a pick up shows up to actually do the work. My suggestion would be to either remove the siding, or leave it, and have your window trim furred out and re capped, you could even have it capped in such a way that the capping would serve as J channel for the new siding.

kifisia

liquid siding

#5 Post by kifisia »

i had an estimate too. it was more than vinyl siding and i did not do it. but i don't have cedar on my house. if i did, i would have considered it. in my case the warranty was for everything including wood.

MSmith4265

#6 Post by MSmith4265 »

Thanks guys. W4U, Guy, FenEx -- any others out there that have any quick thoughts on this? I respect all of your opinions a lot. Fire away if you have the time! Thanks....

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If you choose to side, and you wish to keep the old shingles on the wall, then my suggestion for looks would be to build out the wrapping so it sticks out further than the siding.
Here is a photo of a job we are doing right now where the siding was about even with the casings just like yours until we built the window wrap out. They are Schuco's like yours. When the siding is done, the window casing will stick out about 3/8" past the window J channel.