Schuco and Simonton questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
22Olde

Schuco and Simonton questions

#1 Post by 22Olde »

We have a quote from NES for 21 Schuco DH windows for ~$24k. I personally think it is unreasonable and did not sign on the first visit. Of course a phone call was received from the manager wanting to come out again to discuss their offer and make us believe that we either go with their window or do nothing because all other windows on the market are not right for us.

Reading this forum I am intrigued by the Simonton 9800 windows and am wondering if it might be a middle of the road solution for me between Diamond or Harvey and Schuco. Simonton web site is not exactly clear on their triple pane option and the spacers so I can't really point to the contractor that I would like to use and tell him to research on it and get back to us with a quote. Can any one help? Should I contact Simonton's dealer instead?

We are located in Boston area.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

The Simonton web site has some fairly good technical data, but very little prose describing the windows and the benefits of the various options. They also have some outright typos and missing options on some pages. They don't promote it very well, but the 9800 series has options for triple pane, krypton, and the higher-end SuperSpacer. Check the glass options listed at the link below and the thermal data link. I just installed the 9800 windows on my own home, so I'll be happy to help in any way I can. You should find that the 9800 is much less than the $1000+/window NES is wanting.

http://www.simonton.com/homeowner/produ ... location=2

22Olde

Thanks

#3 Post by 22Olde »

Thanks for your information. I am trying to convince my contractor to look into the Simonton windows and it's been less than successful because he's currently fully booked and has no experience with Simonton windows. He suggests Diamond windows which is local in Boston because that's what many of his customers use for the price/value but since I've never heard of them I am not sure I will go with Diamond windows. I feel it is to my best interest that I do his homework and help him learn Simonton windows. It is quite frustrating not being to locate any of the options that you mentioned.

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

The glass package you are looking for in the Simonton Impressions 9800 is called Super Sensor Glass that consists of triple-paned IG unit all double strength glass with low-e (sc) on two surfaces – Krypton Gas and Super Spacer. The U-Value for a double hung is .22

I do not have the answer as to why this is not better promoted on their web site.

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.