Certainteed Montclaire or Harvey Classic, WHich is better?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bluemax

Certainteed Montclaire or Harvey Classic, WHich is better?

#1 Post by bluemax »

I live in Western Massachusetts and am presently getting quotes to replace the 15 DH windows in my house, . I've got three quotes all within a few hundred dollars, one dealer is pushing the Certainteed Montclaire which I can't find any reviews on . The two other dealers both prefer the Harvey Classic. All else being equal which is the better window?? The quotes given fall within my budget of keeping it below 450 a window installed. ANy comment would be appreciated.

bluemax

Going with the Harvey Classic

#2 Post by bluemax »

Based on lack of input and not being able to find any independent reviews of the Certainteed Montclaire I'm going with the Harvey Classic window quote. I am really surprised that the Montclaire is so absent of any kind of reviews anywhere. Other than my dealer or Certainteed's Web Site there is just no info available on this window.

bluemax

Answering My own Question

#3 Post by bluemax »

Since the Certainteed Montclaire Window has absolutely no independent information on it anywhere on the web that I could find I thought I'd do some digging on my own and give my very inexperienced humble opinion.
It appears Certainteed decided to introduce a window in limited markets that would be a less costly solution then the Bryn Mawr II. After looking at both windows it appears that the actual glass cells are the same and the difference is in frame. The Bryn Mawr II appears to have a much more robust frame and constant force balancing system. The Bryn Mawr II has a 3/4" balancing system and the Monclaire has a 1/2" system. The actual frame of the Bryn Mawr II is built stiffer and the window has a Lift flange where the Monclaire doesn't. At my dealer the difference in cost is 36 bucks a window which to me is a no brainer, the Bryn Mawr II is a better buy.