Close to deciding...looking for input

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
renthead

#1 Post by renthead »

Great forum. So glad I found this as we know next to nothing about vinyl replacement windows......or we did before we started frequenting this board. Thanks to all for your input.

We are replacing 19 windows, 14 DH and 5 sliders. Quotes are as follows:

Great Lakes Uniframe $10,147
Great Lakes Seabrooke $ 8,797
Great Lakes Bayshore $ 7,969
Simonton 9800 $ 9,137
Certainteed Bryn Mawr II $ 8,919

The Great Lakes and Simonton quotes are from one dealer/installer and the Certainteed is from another. After considering all our options, we are down to the Great Lakes Seabrooke vs Certainteed Bryn Mawr II.

While we prefer the Seabrooke window, the dealer has only been in business 5 years and the installation crew (2-3 guys) has only 1-2 years experience. Conversely, the Bryn Mawr II dealer has been in business 65 years and the installation crew (5 guys) has 15 years experience ( the lead man has 17 years with the company). Each crew does only windows. Are the differences in the windows enough to negate the lack of experience? What are your thoughts on this scenario?
Thanks so much for your input.

Baker

#2 Post by Baker »

I don't know anything about installing windows but as a skilled tradesperson (electrician) Someone with two years experience should be able to do a good job on any standard work. You only run into problems when you have a situation thats out of the ordinary and none of them have ever dealt with. I do find it weird that they don't have at least one installer running things with many more years of experience just to look over the work and handle any odd problems hat arise.

Alacoyote

#3 Post by Alacoyote »

Renthead, where are you located?

I am considering both the Great Lakes Seabrooke and the Certainteed Bryn Mawr II as well. However, my quote for 21 DH Seabrooke and a half-circle geometric was $11,750. The geometric supposedly was $600, so that makes the Seabrookes an average of about $530 per window. Although several of yours are horizontal sliders, your average window cost is $463 - considerably less than my quote. The sales rep told me that the Uniframe would be $50 more per window, for a total of about $12,200 for the DHs, an average of $580. Your quote averaged about $534 a window.

Just wondering if I've got a basis for some bargaining room in my current quotes. Currently, both Great Lakes quotes I've gotten are beyond my budget but I might reconsider if I got quotes more in line with yours.

FYI, got a quote for Simonton 5500s for the same windows: $10,500. The Certainteed sales rep is coming this Saturday so I'll have a quote for the BM II then.

renthead

#4 Post by renthead »

Hey alacoyote-

I'm located in Michigan...tri cities area. What did you think of the Bryn Mawr II? We have not made a final decision yet though may be leaning towards these. I still like the Great Lakes Seabrooke window better but have some concerns RE: installation. We are really dragging our feet on this, hoping for some divine sign :)

Alacoyote

#5 Post by Alacoyote »

The company that sells/installs the Bryn Mawr II came this morning. I was unimpressed and didn't even ask for an estimate. The sales rep (actually, the Company president) seemed almost relieved, saying that they haven't installed many of the BM II lately because they, and their customers, prefer the Simontons, which they also carry. I've decided to go with the Simonton 5500's with a 1" glass pack, Superspacer and reinforced meeting rail upgrades (I also asked him to price 9800's but he didn't have any info on them; not sure if they're available here but he's meeting with the Simonton rep on Monday and is going to let me know).

Between the Great Lakes Seabrooke and the BM II, I definitely thought the GL was a better quality window (although it uses a block-and-tackle lift mechanism rather than the constant force balancing system). Actually, I thought the GL Uniframe was superior to any other window I've looked at (no Shuco dealer here, folks) but it was nearly $3000 more than the upgraded 5500's mentioned above and my budget can't justify that. If you can swing the extra $1400 you listed in your quotes, I'd do it. If not, I'd go with either the Simonton 9800's or the GL Seabrooke and skip the BM II.

However, my confidence in the contractor is still my primary concern and I think it should be yours. Read some of the posts on this discussion board and it's evident why. Unless you are overwhelmingly impressed with a particular window, I'd take my chances with a reputable contractor installing any of the windows you've listed before I'd pick a window installed by a contractor whose experience is unknown or questionable.

renthead

#6 Post by renthead »

Congrats on your decision. We liked the look of the Simonton quite a bit, just had some concerns about the weep holes. It would be great if you could see the 9800 ....very nice. The Simonton installer here is the same as the GL and if we do go with him it will be for the Seabrooke.

We also noted that Certainteed has the better balance but lesser spacer than the Seabrooke which has the Intercept but B/T. Just adds to the fun of decison making.

Thanks for your thoughts and good luck on the install.

Alacoyote

#7 Post by Alacoyote »

You are welcome and thank you. :)

I'm not sure how much difference the weep-hole thing really makes or if this is a marketing differentiator for GL. My GL rep (whose company is well regarded) also stressed the fact that the GL windows are foam filled and how this adds to the insulating value of the window (which, on its surface, seems to make sense). However, after reading a number of posts on this website, it's clear that the foam doesn't really add much, if any, insulating value.

Now I'm just hoping that the contractor I've tentatively decided on doesn't say or do something today (like vastly inflating his Saturday estimate) that makes me re-think my decision . . .

Whatever you decide on, I hope your installation goes well. Now, if you could only send some of your nice weather down our way!

Alacoyote

joe123

Re: Close to deciding...looking for input

#8 Post by joe123 »

renthead wrote:Great forum. So glad I found this as we know next to nothing about vinyl replacement windows......or we did before we started frequenting this board. Thanks to all for your input.

We are replacing 19 windows, 14 DH and 5 sliders. Quotes are as follows:

Great Lakes Uniframe $10,147
Great Lakes Seabrooke $ 8,797
Great Lakes Bayshore $ 7,969
Simonton 9800 $ 9,137
Certainteed Bryn Mawr II $ 8,919

Question: Are these prices for windows only or for windows including installation?

renthead

#9 Post by renthead »

Price includes windows and installation. DH sizes average 40-50 x 35-50, sliders average 45-50 x 35.

renthead

#10 Post by renthead »

FWIW, I did clarify with my salesman that the Certainteed Bryn Mawr II does indeed have the Intercept warm edge spacer not the swiggle spacer used previously.

joe123

#11 Post by joe123 »

renthead wrote:Price includes windows and installation. DH sizes average 40-50 x 35-50, sliders average 45-50 x 35.
Where are these prices for? State?

renthead

#12 Post by renthead »

Michigan

Alacoyote

Update on Decision

#13 Post by Alacoyote »

Renthead:

Wanted to update you on our decision. The contractor I tentatively had decided on met with the Simonton rep on Tuesday and obtained literature on the 9800, which I received today. In the meantime, I met with several of my neighbors who had used this contractor, all of whom were highly complimentary and very satisfied. All of these neighbors have had their windows for 3-4 years and have had no problems.

The contractor also provided me with quotes for both the 5500 and the 9800, comparably equipped (LoE, argon, double strength 1" glass, Superspacer and reinforced meeting rail upgrades). I swapped out two side-by-side DHs for a slider in our kitchen, as this was more functional (every company I spoke to said that, with the necessary repairs/replacement of the sill and removal of the center mull, the price would be a wash and in fact it was).

The quotes for 19 DHs, 1 slider and a 36" half-round "sunburst": $9227 for the 5500 and $9685 for the 9800. This was a no-brainer decision. For only about $20 more per window, the 9800 clearly is a better choice, especially with the better warranty that it comes with. I hope to have a contract in place in the next couple of days.

Hope you've had similar satisfaction/success/progress with your decision.

Alacoyote

renthead

#14 Post by renthead »

Thanks for the update Alacoyote. I think you will be most happy with the 9800's....a great looking window that seems to be very well thought of on these boards. Excellent choice.

It's funny how so much of what you have written in this thread mirrors our experience i.e. concerns about spacers and balancing systems, not wanting to overpay for Uniframe's insulation, even narrowing our choices to the same windows. I had to laugh when you said you are swapping out the side by side DH's in your kitchen for a slider. We are doing just the opposite--changing a very large slider to side by side DH's. And your right, the price difference is a wash. We are keeping a smaller slider over the kitchen sink--much easier to open while leaning over the faucet than a DH.

After driving around and looking at the installation jobs of the two contractors we are considering, we are more convinced than ever that we are going with the Certainteed Bryn Mawr and the more experienced installers. I called our City Building Inspector's office and in a very casual conversation they were extremely positive about this guy and his crew. In addition, the Great Lakes/Simonton installer has pulled some odd things of late and has been quite pushy in his tactics. While I think his product is top notch, I'm not at all sold on him and his installation crew. We are comfortable with our decision.

Keep me posted on your install and thanks again for your time and input.

Alacoyote

#15 Post by Alacoyote »

Our kitchen double-hungs are behind our table and face onto the deck, so for us the slider seems more practical.

Sounds like you made the right choice. An arguably better window is useless if poorly installed.

I'll let you know how the install goes, which the contractor estimates will be about 5-6 weeks after ordering (no, he didn't give me any of the 2-week BS I got from some others). Now I'm just praying that the remainder of this topic is'nt me ranting about crappy responsiveness and broken promises, forcing the Administrator to shut me down! :lol: