Windows in Westchester/Putnam NY

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nagrath

Windows in Westchester/Putnam NY

#1 Post by nagrath »

Great Forum! I am beginning research on replacing 9 windows, 8 of which are 34x39" double-hung aluminum frame windows ~25 years old with failing mechanisms. One is a smaller wood frame Anderson window that feels leaky in the winter. I would replace them myself but after pulling the molding on one, I see that it is nailed in from the outside and I have vinyl siding. I should have replaced the windows when I did the siding (~5 years ago) but they weren't breaking then and I didn't have enough spare cash. I am looking to find some reputable window companies in the area. I've gotten info from this site on Thermotite and Tri State Window FActory, but would love to get a few more recommendations. I am also going to get an estimate from my siding installer, with which I was reasonably happy, Vinyl Tech of Poughkeepsie. One question I have involves the exterior finish work--is the installer expected to re-wrap the windows and leave the exterior completely finished? What interior damage should I expect and what is generally done there--from pulling the moulding on one window, it almost looks like it unnecessary to do anything inside if the windows are cut out from the outside like they have to be. Is that true? It would save me a lot of finishing work and repainting (except for the one I ripped the moulding off of!) I really appreciate the posts here and will spend a lot of time reading over the next week or so.

-John in Mahopac NY