Can you apply tint film over double pane windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
trojanman

Can you apply tint film over double pane windows?

#1 Post by trojanman »

Is it acceptable to apply tint film on double pane windows? Does this void the warranty or anything?

Are there any negative ramifications?

How effective is security window tint (6 mil) compared to laminated windows?

Tru_blue

Films

#2 Post by Tru_blue »

Is it acceptable to apply tint film on double pane windows? Does this void the warranty or anything?
In 28+ years I haven't observed it to be much of a problem and many people have had a tinted film applied, but it does normally void the warranty on the glass. Here's why: The film can tend to make the glass warmer because it absorbs more heat than the insulating glass was designed to absorb, which might lead to seal failure or stress cracks. Again, I haven't noticed it being much of a problem and I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but understandably a window manufacturer or glass company might have issues with it.

Oberon

film

#3 Post by Oberon »

Tru_blue is absolutely correct - lots of people use films without troubles, but if the film does cause a problem you have voided your warranty.

IG folks do not put tinted glass on the interior pane of a multi-pane window because of potential heat issues. This is especially true if the window also has a LowE coating. A tinted film applied inside your home could be just like using tinted glass as the interior lite - there could be enough heat build up to crack the glass.

Ordinary window glass can actually handle a great deal of heat as long as that heat is evenly distributed throughout the lite. Big differences between the center of glass temp and edge temp can induce enough thermal stress to break glass, however and films can contribute to this stress by helping to retaining heat within the IGU.

Additionally, some spacer systems can't handle the heat load and will fail if subjected to the sort of temperature extremes that a tinted film could contribute to between the panes in an IGU.

On to the second question, a 6 mil film is pretty tough, but to compare it to laminated glass it really is necessary to know the specific requirement or application.

researcher

#4 Post by researcher »

[QUOTE}..."On to the second question, a 6 mil film is pretty tough, but to compare it to laminated glass it really is necessary to know the specific requirement or application."...[END QUOTE]

Oderon, you got me curious. How much would adding a 6 mil film cut back on sound transmission, would it come close to laminated glass?

Oberon

good question...

#5 Post by Oberon »

Researcher,

I don't think that an aftermarket film applied to the glass will affect sound transmission in any noticeable way...but, that said, I don't know of any actual testing data one way or another.

Now you have me curious as well and I am going to do a bit of research to see if anyone has ever actually tested for that area.

Again, I don't believe it will make any difference - but thanks for the thought - should be interesting bit of research.