Patio Doors: New Construction vs. Retrofit: Whats the truth?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
limerence

Patio Doors: New Construction vs. Retrofit: Whats the truth?

#1 Post by limerence »

So I had a couple of contractors come by to give me bids on my place. Unfortunately, for a townhouse, I have six sliding patio doors and seven windows. I've narrowed it down to two.

Contractor #1: Anlin Catalina Windows and Anlin Malibu Patio Doors. Retrofit for windows and doors totaling $15.9K. States retrofit works fine for doors.

Contractor #2: Simonton 7300 Windows and Simonton 7500 Patio Doors.
Retrofit for windows and new construction for doors totaling $15.4K

As I live in a townhouse community, and a neighbor with almost the same home layout is considering the purchase as well, Contractor #1 said he could drop down both purchases to about $11.5K each if we both did it.

Contractor #2 wouldn't budge on the price even with another house since it wouldn't reach his volume discount with the manufacturer. Upon telling him about pricing of Contractor #1, he said that retrofit for windows is ok, but definitely not for patio doors. And that they will reflash and stucco and texture to match the existing stucco as opposed to putting on a wood trim to hide damage like what novice installers do.

As both are pretty reputable, who to believe? What is the truth on retrofit vs. new construction for patio doors?

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Both contractors have merit in their beliefs. I would sway in the direction of #2 on the patio doors. I always do a total replacement with a patio door. Almost all the old doors have some kind of leaking issue or dry rot some where. The most important being the bottom side of the frame. Almost 80% of the old doors we take out were never sealed under the threshold of the frame. This is an area with high air infiltration and water leakage to most homes. This is also the same area where we find most damage to the home. It's either damaged by years of water leakage or infestation of some kind of ant or rodent. So spend the money now and not later when part of your wall caves in. If your #2 contractor won't budge on his price then talk to #1 about doing a total replacement. Keep in mind that if there is any unforeseen damage the price can go up! Good Luck!!!

limerence

#3 Post by limerence »

Thanks for the tips Guy!