Schuco Appearance

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
amathew

Schuco Appearance

#1 Post by amathew »

I had a sales person coming home and demonstrating Shuco window. He had broght in a less quality Sunrise window as well. I am not happy with the color of the shuco window as compared to sunrise. It looks dull. I have to admit that it is well made solid product . However my wife doesn't like the color and says it is bulky. Did anybody felt that way.

I know that some of the glass pane area will be lost with replacement window. Where does Shuco stand with this as compared to other vinyl (not fiber glass) window brands.
I got a quote of $8425.00 for 14 double hung Coronall 400 with #406 .
Thirteen of them of size 33X57and one with 37X37.

Another question is about the loss of light inside due to three pane with Low E- Is it significant. I have an old wood window right now.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Here are a few comparisons for frame size. Most brands are almost identical in frame size and Schuco is no thicker than 98% of the competition.

The Sunrise does have a slimmer center rail and sill profile, as well as uneven glass lines to give a little extra glass on the bottom sash. Plus, any brand's lower end windows will be thinner on the sill and center rails too. Normally, the thinner the vinyl window extrusions, the cheaper built the window.
On the question of being darker in the house with triple, on Schuco's triple it is virtually undetectable between double and triple. Unlike some triple glazed windows that look like they are tinted dark or are green, Schuco's triples retain a natural light appearance.

For those of you worried about glass loss in a replacement window, I suggest you relax. I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about glass loss once the new windows were installed. Once they are in, they look like they always belonged.

InfoSponge

#3 Post by InfoSponge »

Some people prefer the Schuco color, but I guess some people don't as well. Things are different when viewing two windows side-by-side in the middle of a brightly lit room, but I doubt that many people would dislike either color once they are integrated into a home without stark white walls.

Glass loss is a bit exaggerated by the smaller window samples salespeople carry around. You could also consider casements if you want a bit more glass area. Vinyl windows are slightly more bulky than competing window materials, but once my vinyl windows were installed, I didn't think it was that big of a downside. At the top, you often have blinds or a valance covering the frame. The sides are sometimes masked by curtains, the interior stops/sill hide a bit of the frame, etc. If you want to compare to something thinner, take a look at fiberglass windows, aluminum thermal break windows, or thin-profile vinyl like Milgard's Style Line series.

Of the mid-range to high end vinyl windows I looked at, Schuco seemed about average with respect to frame size (the pictures above are a great illustration!). Your price may be reasonable if you're confident about getting a good install (is that quote for double or triple pane?). You'll definitely lose some visible light due to 2/3 panes and the LowE and you'll notice it if the old and new windows are side by side, but once they are installed, the difference is pretty hard to notice. Your screens will probably be a lot more noticeable, as far as blocking light - especially if you get half screens and can see the difference side-by-side.

Even double-pane LowE works wonders! I left one slider open for an hour or so with the sun shining in. Then I felt the sill temperature of the direct sunlight and the sun going through LowE, and difference was dramatic!