to tip or not to tip that is the question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jg

to tip or not to tip that is the question

#1 Post by jg »

am nearing the completion of a seven day schuco installation of over 30 windows. it has been a particularly difficult job because each original window frame (metal) required cutting and removal from the opening and then required reframing. quarter round is being used for the inside trim and of course every window is being wrapped.
at the end of each day the entire house is vacuumed and all debris is removed.
are there any suggestions with regard to tipping the installers?
is there a rule of thumb amount eg. $50.00 per day, or less or more?
do the installers expect a tip?
thanks for any thoughts or advice.

XSleeper

#2 Post by XSleeper »

After 15 years of installing windows, I have been tipped less than 5x, and it was always less than $10. Coming from the plains where money is usually tight and people are conservative, that's probably not suprising. So in my area, tipping is not customary, although it's a nice gesture.

People more commonly offer us refreshments, and someone even gave me a 6 pack of beer once (an old Czechosolvakian who wanted me to try some "real" beer). Not that we drink beer on the job- he actually gave it to me as a holiday gift.

So no, I'd say that installers do not expect a tip. Usually their employer's pay is sufficient, along with bonuses if that's their custom.

Not sure if the same applies in the big city.

researcher

#3 Post by researcher »

A cop stopped me for speeding one day, and I had this gut feeling that he was just going to give me a warring, so I tipped him out of gratitude as soon as he asked for my drivers licence and I was right. :D

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

I get tipped regularly by the customer and so do all my installers. My son has been tipped three times this week alone. It's nothing we have ever expected from any customer. If it happens we are gracious everytime. We take it as the ultimate compliment from the homeowner. We don't put out a tip jar like they do at Caribou Coffee. So don't ever be afraid to tip your installers. They'll always appreciate the jesture. If they can't be tipped they'll let you know. Coffee, Soda & any kind of snack is usually more than enough in any case.

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

[QUOTE] So don't ever be afraid to tip your installers.[/QUOTE]

So that my friend, is a tip. :)

E-Z

#6 Post by E-Z »

I am a small bussiness owner/salesman/installer and we do get tipped from time to time. We never expect it but when we do it feels great. I find it to be a great opportunity to show my guys that good service and attention to detail goes a long way. its hard nowadays to inculcate those values to employees so a tip even if its a soda at the end of the day is much appreciated.

E-z

joe123

#7 Post by joe123 »

I tip once in a while and when I tip, I make sure to tip the guys who do the grunt work, the real hard work.

I never tip the guys who look very clean.